1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Suckerfish dropdown menu remote server problem

Hi

I am using suckerfish drop down menu without problem on my local server, however, on the remote server them menu won't work when jscript is turned off (when viewed on IE). Do you have any idea why this might be? has anyone had this problem before? (here is the url: (URL address blocked: See forum rules))

thanks a lot
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The Suckerfish menu system requires JScript to be enabled to work in IE5-6 (and IE7 if it's not in Standards mode).
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Learn CSS. | PHP includes | HTML Validator | CSS validator

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture

yes, it uses jscript, but it also works when jscript is turned off not at its best from the design point of view but enough to make the menu work, so that the menu is accessible. This is very important for me that the site is accessible.

The menu works perfectly well when the jscript is off on my local server, but not on the remote server, so i wonder why this could be?

(try this on IE jscript turned on/off and you'll see what i mean: (URL address blocked: See forum rules)******fish/dropdowns/example/- you have to right the full name instead of '*')
  7. :)
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

You can get the hover to work in IE using hover:whatever can't you?
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by huyaroo
    You can get the hover to work in IE using hover:whatever can't you?
    no, IE accepts :hover only if it's applied to anchor (a:hover), but not on list elements (li:hover doesn't work)
  11. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

huyaroo is referring to whatever:hover, which only works when JScript is enabled.

In standards mode, IE7 has much better support for :hover.

pret, since you are a new member your URL was blocked. Can you please post it again with spaces in the middle?

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    huyaroo is referring to whatever:hover, which only works when JScript is enabled.

In standards mode, IE7 has much better support for :hover.

pret, since you are a new member your URL was blocked. Can you please post it again with spaces in the middle?
    ok, i see. here is the url : www. htmldog .com /articles/ suckerfish/ dropdowns/ example/

and here is the url on the remote server www. simulayt. com

(the menu is used almost as it is in the original example, but the example will work when jscript is off whereas the second url not)
  15. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

The dropdowns only work in IE5-6 when JScript is enabled. I have tested it myself many times.

I suggest you take a look at this Suckerfish variant. It adds invisible buffer zones around the sub-lists that allow for less accurate mouse movements.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo