1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

This is my first post, so be gentle.

Problem: Using CSS and specifying Arial at 11px, sentences that begin with "W" in table cells are getting the first pixel cut off in IE5 on Windows. This is the ONLY place it seems to occur.

Now, I can fix it by doing any of the following:

- adding a non-breaking space before the "W". While it doesn't appear as a space in IE, Netscape shows it loud and clear.

- adding "text-indent: 1px;" to the CSS file. However, this adds a leading space before EVERY paragraph, which is not acceptable either.

- adding cellpadding to the cell. This would be the best solution, but some of the tables I'm dealing require very strict spacing, and even 1px of padding would blow up the page.

- changing the font size. We tried this, but again the strict design would not allow for the spacing changes that occcured.

- changing the font from px to pt. This works fairly well, but we lost all consistancy between PC and Macintosh, which is the primary reason we used px in the first place.

- Not starting sentences with "W". Sure, it could be done...but can you imaging telling that to the client?

Does anyone know of another way to eliminate this problem? I'm going bananas over this. It's not that distracting, but the client can't get past the odd-shaped "W"'s.

Thanks in advance!

John P.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hmm I've just been playing around with your problem and it is strange. It seems there isn't a way to solve it if you strictly have to keep the font size, family constant and having no cellpadding.

I would suggest to use the font Tahoma. I prefer it over Arial and it's what MS use as their standard font these days. Sorry I couldn't be of much more help.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks! I haven't really used Tahoma much before, but the spacing is nearly identical to Arial...just without the issue we've been having! You've saved me a headache. Thanks again.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo