1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question

Hi,
    This is very urgent.
    Applying CSS in a link makes the font size small in Netscape and shows fine in IE . Can you please tell me how to solve this as it is spoiling my design.

Thankx
    Regards
    monde
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Lightbulb

Hallo,

that's known trouble with Netscape - try to use Pixels (px) instead of Points (pt) system in font-size, etc. directives. it will help you a bit for Netscape fonts.

Ciao
  5. No Profile Picture
    Senior Meddler

I would think that on the same platform with the same default fonts chosen for your browsers, the font size in NN vs IE should be consistent. There is a "known issue" between font size display on Windows vs Macs (see below for those who care) and, if you are using the defaults on a Mac comparing IE 5.0 with anything else, but that should effect font display everywhere in the browser window.

Monde,
    could you paste in your CSS code so we can have a look at it?

thanks,
    bob

... for those who care:
    Default font resolution in Windows OS and in Mac IE 5.0 is 96ppi, while elsewhere in Mac OS it's 72ppi. Apparently the difference is due to (a) multisync monitors, shrinking pixel sizes at high screen resolutions, and MS's never-ending efforts to help out computers users whether we ask for it or not ... sometimes it hurts, sometimes it helps--in this case, helping to save my eyesight is one I put in the W column for MS ... and (b) there's no such thing as WYSIWYG anymore (since 72 pixels do not necessarily make an inch) so why stick to it for everything.

The difference is a ratio of 4:3 -- 96=24 x 4; 72=24 x 3. For a 12 point font, that means 16px at 96ppi and 12px at 72ppi.

(On the Mac side, the 96ppi in IE5 is a preference you can turn off -- but if you design on a Mac (as I do) and want to see your page how most of the rest of the world will see it, keeping things set to 96ppi helps quite a bit.)
    --
    Bob Boyle
    boyleb@rappdigital.com
    www.rappdigital.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo