1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

using css: Create box with minimum height - but expand with content

I'm a newbie to css. I'm trying to convert tables to css and having a bit of a tough time.

Latest problem - create a window or container with a one line border with minimum height, say 600px, but the height will expand as the content grows.

Any help? Thank you kindly!
  3. what's your moniker?

Unhappy

Originally Posted by ez8
    I'm a newbie to css. I'm trying to convert tables to css and having a bit of a tough time.

Latest problem - create a window or container with a one line border with minimum height, say 600px, but the height will expand as the content grows.

Any help? Thank you kindly!
    min-height currently doesn't work in IE. This is really the underying reason people use faux-columns to create layouts. If the box doesn't affect surrounding elements, you could just give it a height, and it should expand automatically.

-Greg
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by stinkoman
    min-height currently doesn't work in IE. This is really the underying reason people use faux-columns to create layouts. If the box doesn't affect surrounding elements, you could just give it a height, and it should expand automatically.

-Greg
    THanks friend,

What is a "faux-column?"
  7. what's your moniker?

Originally Posted by ez8
    THanks friend,

What is a "faux-column?"
    a faux column is essentially just a repeated image used to replicate the look of two columns which extend to the bottom of the page, not just the bottom of the content. the link goes to a nice tutorial.

-Greg
  9. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

Originally Posted by stinkoman
    If the box doesn't affect surrounding elements, you could just give it a height, and it should expand automatically.
    Unfortunately, that's exactly what IE does—incorrectly. For a demo of this behavior, see my Nested Boxes page.

A quick search found CSS: The Underscore Hack. Google is your friend.

cheers,

gary
    There are those who manage to build a web site without knowing what they're doing; thereby proving to themselves they do, indeed, know what they're doing.

My html and css workshop, demos and tutorials.
    Ask a better question, get a better answer.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo