1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CSS Compatibility

I just finished a layout using CSS and I'm aware that browsers 4.0 and earlier (or is it 3.0 and earlier?) won't be able to display it right. However, I also know that the browsers that do support CSS don't all display it the exact same way. I tested my layout using Internet Explorer 6 and Mozilla 1.6. I had to make a few changes to get Mozilla to display it close to what I intended. My question: which other browsers and versions should I test it on?

Comments on this post

• Arty Ziff agrees : Free points.
  3. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

IE6 and Moz pretty well cover things. Use Moz/Firefox as your main test bed since it is the most standards compliant browser. Use IE to test whatever you have to dumb down or hack. Opera "Small Screen Rendering" allows you to test for PDAs and cell phones. Key shift F-11. Use Lynx to be sure everything makes sense without plugins, graphics, or CSS. Lynx more or less emulates assistive technology as might be used by the visually disabled.

Well, that's the way I do it. For whatever that's worth.

cheers,

gary
    There are those who manage to build a web site without knowing what they're doing; thereby proving to themselves they do, indeed, know what they're doing.

My html and css workshop, demos and tutorials.
    Ask a better question, get a better answer.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Awesome, thanks a lot!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo