1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

css positioning a footer - help needed.

Hello ppl,

the problem I got is the following:

I have a set of pages consisting of a header a main content and a footer. I made the footer displaying at the bottom of the page even if the page is empty by the help of the following post: CSS footer

The problem I have now is:

in the css file I do not define the variable width for the header and it gets displayed like I would expect it if I said width=100%. Now if I do not define the width of the footer it is really small. If I define it like width=100% it looks ok in IE and like 102% in mozillabased browsers.

Now I do not want to talk about IE vs. Mozilla issues, I just want to know why defining no width for the header works but not for the footer.

here is a link to my page where footer has a width=100% : www.ovidius-journeys.de/index.html and the link to the coresponding css file is www.ovidius-journeys.de/tierraverde-screen.css

here is a link to a test page where footer is lacking a width definition: www.ovidius-journeys.de/test.html and the coresponding css file is www.ovidius-journeys.de/test.css

Please remember to test both url with IE and Mozilla to see the difference.

I am seriously determined to fix this misbehaviour. THerefore I made a small drawing to illustrate things: www.ovidius-journeys.de/images/diagramm.jpg
    There is a hotlink protection active, I managed to bypass it a little but you still have to copy the url into a new browser window, meaning only referers from my domain are allowed but entering the url manually without sending a referer will work.
    The drawing shows how my pages are structured. I also added some atributes from the css file as far as I thought them relevant for this problem.
  3. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

You've gotten away from the prototype's structure.
    Code:
    #content <!-- a wrapper for the entire page -->
        #main <!-- a sub-wrapper for the all the content except the footer -->
        #footer <!-- a wrapper for footer data -->
    Try putting the header, the side-bars, and the main-copy in the #main. Double check the wrappers' style rules against the proto.

If you still have problems, create a minimal test case.

Should you still be stumped, think of it as an opportunity for edification.

cheers,

gary

nb:&#160;&#160;The prototype referenced can be found at http://scott.sauyet.name/CSS/Demo/FooterDemo1.html.
    There are those who manage to build a web site without knowing what they're doing; thereby proving to themselves they do, indeed, know what they're doing.

My html and css workshop, demos and tutorials.
    Ask a better question, get a better answer.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thx for the advice gary,

I am glad you tried to help as it was you that pointed me to the prototype I am using. I know I have gotten away from the proto, but I thought that was called "innovation" - no just kidding man, I was quite proud I could adopt my stylesheet to that proto.
    To add to this I do not have any problems with the footer position, its just about its size.

Well, as you saw in the post I had a test.html and test.css. I will follow your advice and try to make those files into a minimal test case.

I will post again when I have narroved down the bug and need help or solved it by myself.
  7. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

I know I have gotten away from the proto, but I thought that was called "innovation" - no just kidding man, I was quite proud I could adopt my stylesheet to that proto.
    To add to this I do not have any problems with the footer position, its just about its size.
    As to the footer size; altered structure has problems, prototype doesn't. Do we have a hint here? It may easily be something else, but if altering one thing is concurrent with altered results elsewhere, doesn't that suggest a connection?

cheers,

gary
    There are those who manage to build a web site without knowing what they're doing; thereby proving to themselves they do, indeed, know what they're doing.

9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I hope you noticed I was kidding, gary.

Anyway I isolated the bug. It was something that someone on another forum already suggested: he said I should pay attention when using width: 100% because Moz and IE handle the calculation of the 100% differently. Moz seems to add borders and padding to the 100%, thats why my footer got bigger than 100%

Now I have 2 choices:

- stop using width: 100% and use fixed sizes
    - use width: 100% but stop using padding for my footer.

I will choose #2 and insert another div into the footer div that uses padding. So the footer won't be bothered by the padding.

Following your hints I rewrote my css based on the proto css. Now it is much closer to the proto and I guess in a few days I will have adopted it completely.

There is only a small thing that still makes me wonder:
    Why does my header look like width: 100% although I did not specify any width and my footer looks small without the width: 100%?
    But I will post that as a separate post with the coresponding css code when I finish.

Last problems I am trying to tackle are the size handling of em, ex, mm . There seems to be a huge difference between IE and Moz. I will have to look that up later, atm I am trying to stay somewhere in between so it looks ok in both. Thats not a priority to get it looking exactly the same.
  11. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

Yeah, I saw the facetiousness. I've done some wonderful and imaginative innovation my own self that broke stuff. I just wanted to emphasize that you had a working model, added/changed something, and it broke. Returning to the working version is what I call the "whack it back 'til it works" school of debugging. At this point you can add things back in until it breaks, and know which bit broke things.

Whack-it-back doesn't always work well if the bug is a combination of things. Either bit by itself might not cause a problem, but together they're toxic.

The minimal test case can be a lot of work if the page is complex. It's my second, or last resort method. It does work for multipart bugs.

cheers,

gary

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo