1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CSS Compatibility Problem

Ive been driving myself mad trying to get part of my site looking right, im using a <span class="news_story"> tag, it all looked fine and read my style def and worked, then when i came to test it in opera and netscape it decided to ignore the style def.

Anyhoo, i had another play this mornig and discovered that the problem was the name of the style definition, "news_story" i removed the underscore and it worked fine.

Is this a problem with netscape/opera or is it actually stated in the css spec that you arent supposed to have _'s in the name of a definition? and in which case has iexplore been written to to compensate for this problem.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Senior Citizen
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

It's a bug! Underscores are perfectly legal in CSS/Javascript/JScript and MSIE handles them with aplomb - btw, what is aplomb? You're one of many baffled by this problem, nice job solving it....
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

this is the sort of thing that really annoys me, having to faff around making sure a site works in all browsers.

At the moment i develop for ie5+, netscape 6, opera 5, i cant be bothered with the rest, and the type of site im running the visitors will all have a 5+ ver of ie anyway

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo