Thread: CSS file length

1. No Profile Picture
    Husker Geek
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CSS file length

Are there any speed issues in using large CSS files? If so, how large of a CSS file?

Thanks,

David
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

It's just like downloading a .js file. If the total file size (html + css + js) for a single page is over about 30k you can count out a lot of your potential clients. Speed is the key, remember the following:

for each 5 seconds you lose 5% of your customers.

That means that a page that takes 1.40 to download loses 100% of it's customers. If they have a T1 connection and your page takes 5 secs + then you're guaranteed to lose 5%, just don't enforce huge downloads that lose the rest.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Husker Geek
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks binky, but I was look for something on if larger CSS files are rendered slower than smaller ones, and what file size can create a noticeable slow down. I figure that a browser has to parse the CSS file to find the relevent formatting info for each html tag it encounters. I realize that the browser type and CPU speed are also factors in the rendering speed.
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

As long as the file is in resident memory of the client machine then it shouldn't matter how long the file is.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo