1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question <div> + CSS vs. <table>

Well, I've been trying to get my head around using div tags and css instead of tables for the layout of web sites, but i'm having some trouble finding the most effective ways of doing it. In a lot of cases, I keep thinking I need to nest about 5 different divs and it seems like I might as well just go back to using tables. I know there must be a better way to do this. Is there anyone out there that could shed some light on the subject? I'd really love to get the source of a complicated site layout created with div's and CSS.

Thanks in advance
  4. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

w00t! Thank you
  6. No Profile Picture
    wibble

www.wired.com has a website built entirely using divs. means text size etc. is variable as the user wishes and the page expands nicely over any size monitor.

you could always download their stylesheets etc. to see how its done

edited to add: just checked adios's links - some great stuff in there
    Last edited by blancbleu; May 8th, 2003 at 09:10 AM.
  8. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok, i'm still foggy on one thing. All of the sites that I've seen using CSS seem to be flat. I like to be able to use images as a border for certain tables to create a raised appearance via a drop-shadow or something like that. My site right now, using tables, has that appearance: digital-traffic.

I usually do this by using a 3x3 table with images at each corner, repeating backgrounds on each side and content in the middle. Does CSS have some way of setting this up already, or could someone tell me the best way to go about it?
  10. No Profile Picture

i would like to have the same capability as www.wired.com...meaning that the content of the site resizes according to the monitor or according ot size of the window..i have looked at their code but I cant figure it out..i am not that experienced of a programmer...so please any help would help

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo