#1
  1. Recovering Intellectual
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    1,306
    Rep Power
    785

    Display Relative / Absolute and CSS Div/Content expansion


    Hello,

    I am having trouble getting the absolute positioning i need working with the default 'expandable' box model concept. I have a widget that im building for a website that pulls in reveiws and displays them in the widget's body div. Because some reviews are longer than others I had wanted the box to expand vertically with the review size - however i also wanted the widget to appear prior to the reviews arriving and to have a minimum height.

    I realize much of this could be solved with a background image but I am trying to allow the end user to style the widget as much and as easily as possible.

    Here is a link to the widget - its mostly working - the 5/6th review is long and you can see where the expansion doesnt happen - just overflow: visible and no love.

    http://www.ioforge.com/testWidget.html
    Bugs that go away by themselves come back by themselves
    Beware - your loyalty will not be rewarded
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    716
    Rep Power
    442
    Unless I'm missing something, you don't need absolute positioning at all here. Take it off the header, body and footer (you can also remove the positioning, widths and heights, by the way). Remove the min-height from the parent and add it to the middle UPReviewPluginBody section.

    Comments on this post

    • Matt1776 agrees : thanks!
  4. #3
  5. Recovering Intellectual
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    1,306
    Rep Power
    785
    wow ... what!? ok - so I thought to anchor the footer to the bottom I needed to position it absolute, relative to the main container. Not sure where i got that. I think my content/ajax scheme had changed over the course of development - Where initially i had appened no body elements and i was left thinking i needed something i did not.

    Thanks ..

    // EDIT now if i can just figure out why the *jQuery getJSON* method isnt working in specifically IE8 that would be the dog's bollocks.
    Last edited by Matt1776; May 1st, 2013 at 06:18 PM.
    Bugs that go away by themselves come back by themselves
    Beware - your loyalty will not be rewarded

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo