1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Cellspacing, perhaps?

Well, I believe I have tried to adjust cellspacing to 0 with no effect, but I may have done wrong. When viewing the link below, the box around the 2 sections contain breaks on the left/right side between rows. I just need to make these connect. On my other tables building my lists, the border dividing columns connect up and down do prob. Any ideas why I've spaces here?

Section Providing Spaced Borders

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Triple_Nothing; August 23rd, 2013 at 09:07 AM.
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Don't use PSPad's default HTML templates. They are obsolete. Use one of these templates.

Where did you try to set the cellspacing? The only presentational stuff I see is the style attributes on the table and the table cells?

I may as well mention that "cellspacing" is the HTML attribute name while "border-spacing" is the CSS property name.
    Last edited by Kravvitz; August 23rd, 2013 at 01:47 PM.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ya. Not all may have been in during ur view, as I been adding/removing things. Found out half my issue was just be being blonde and putting my CSS within a <script> tag instead of a <style> tag. Bleh.

I currently have 'border-collapse: collapse;' and borders connect as desired, EXCEPT the borders on the right side refuse to appear... Any idea?

EDIT: Odd... The right line no longer appears when set as 1px, but just fine as 2px. Works fine for me, but any idea why this is?

EDIT2: Oh, wow. I zoom in on my page and the 1px right lines toggle on/off at different zoom levels. It's not even a constant on after a certain level. Wierd.
    Last edited by Triple_Nothing; August 23rd, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
  7. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I think that the borders are being averaged, so since there's no border on the table itself, a 1px border on the cell will average to just .5 and apparently that's rounded down at least part of the time. I do not recommend using "border-collapse" for this. And for that matter, having a single cell in every row is an improper use of a <table>.

Comments on this post

• mod_speling agrees : classic bad use of table
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Consider some simple markup:
    Code:
    <article>
    <h2>Prospective Contract</h2>
    <section>
    Created by pborucki on 08/21/2013<br/>
    Prospective Contract Type: Central Care<br/>
    Sold by Distributor: No.<br/>
    </section>
    <h2>Active Contract</h2>
    <section>
    Created by pborucki on 08/21/2013
    Service Contract Type: Central Care
    Cost: $1700.00
    Length(days): 365
    Start Date: 08/24/2013
    End Date: 08/23/2014
    </section>
    </article>
    If you give border styles to the section, and style those h2's, would that not be a lot simpler than using a table for entirely the wrong purpose?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ya, I know the single cell thing. They've tossed around what they've really wanted of this in the end... As far as the averaging the 1px part, why is this only applying to border-right? And only after adding the border-collapse att? Borders applied to top, bottom, and left are not effected at all, and work w/ 1px from the start.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo