1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

IE8 on different platforms

OK, I have simple bug in my CSS. Basically, I adjust the page for IE8, IE9 and IE10. I have a Windows XP computer, a Windows 7 computer and a Macintosh, and a subscription to browserstack.com. My site looks good on all my devices. Unfortunately, the client is on a Windows XP computer, using IE8, and the footer is off a little.

His version on IE 8 is Internet Explorer 8, Version: 8.0.7601.17514 64-bit Edition.

I have a lower version, but just upgraded and it's not the exact version he has.

So, I was wondering if people could check out this site in IE8, look at the footer on the home page, and let me know what you see.

You can see the site here

I'm not sure how to trouble shoot this, as I have 2 PC's, one Mac, and subscription to a site that let's you view a chosen site on multiple browsers and platforms. Everything looks good on my end.

Last edited by lelales; August 28th, 2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typo
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The footer doesn't even show up in IE9 here. It's because of that relative positioning.

To put it bluntly, you've shot yourself in the foot. You're using negative top margins on some elements to get them to sit next to each other instead of making it so they can naturally.

Generally you don't want to give large left or right margins to floated elements. Decrease the left margin on ".main_rt_col" to something reasonable, like 20px. Decrease the height of "#navigation" from the extremeness of 300px. Remove the top margin from ".twoColFixRtHdr #mainContent" and the left margin from "#sidebar1".

After you make those changes, it should no longer be necessary to relatively position the footer.

Next time please ask questions before using browser specific styles for positioning elements.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Thanks Kravvitz

I'll give your suggestions a shot. Sorry for the not so clean CSS.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo