1. Big Daddy
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

w3c strict errors (10), css, and js questions

Hi all,

Almost done with this page: http://www.bartlett-family.net/sokhan

I am trying to tidy up several things with the site so that I can get it working 100% and so that it will validate as w3c strict. Currently, I am getting these errors from the w3c:
    Code:
    Line 37, column 48: element "ilayer" undefined (explain...). 
      ...ss="clsMenuTD" align="center"><ilayer><layer><div class="clsMenuTitle"><span 
                                              ^
    Line 37, column 55: element "layer" undefined (explain...). 
      ...MenuTD" align="center"><ilayer><layer><div class="clsMenuTitle"><span  class=
                                              ^
    Line 37, column 118: there is no attribute "onClick" (explain...). 
      ...><span  class="clsMenuTitle" onClick="dropit(event, 'dropmenu0');event.cancel
                                              ^
    Line 37, column 216: there is no attribute "onClick" (explain...). 
      ...lse"><a href="alternate.htm" onClick="if(ns4) return dropit(event, 'document.
                                              ^
    Line 41, column 48: element "ilayer" undefined (explain...). 
                                              ^
    Line 41, column 55: element "layer" undefined (explain...). 
      ...MenuTD" align="center"><ilayer><layer><div class="clsMenuTitle"><span class="
                                              ^
    Line 45, column 48: element "ilayer" undefined (explain...). 
                                              ^
    Line 45, column 55: element "layer" undefined (explain...). 
      ...MenuTD" align="center"><ilayer><layer><div class="clsMenuTitle"><span class="
                                              ^
    Line 49, column 48: element "ilayer" undefined (explain...). 
                                              ^
    Line 49, column 55: element "layer" undefined (explain...). 
                                              ^
    Looking at my html file from the above site, can anyone help me fix those errors, while maintaining functionality, please? Thanks!

Also, there are 4 drop-down menus at the top of the page called from a javascript I got from Dynamic Drive. The menus work fine, but when a link is clicked (to make the drop down menu actually appear), the link text is black and very hard to read. I would like the links IN the drop-down menus to be white. I though I had this taken care of in my css file, but it is not working. Can anyone help me out with that, please? There are a lot of different javascript files and for that, I apologize. I took all of the javascript that WAS in the html and placed it externally so that I could get the page to validate. Almost there! I know it's a lot to look through, but I'd appreciate any help. Thanks a million!

Chris
    Pop, pop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is!
  3. Big Daddy

It occurred to me that I could simply remove the layer and ilayer tags in the html. They are deprecated, I believe. Anyway, I removed them and am down to 2 errors from the w3c validation. I still need some help with the rest. Thanks!

Oh, and... I thought of some other things... The page LOOKS fine and operates perfectly in IE and Opera, but looks really strange in NS7. The drop-down menus appear in the upper left hand corner (instead of right below the links) and everything is out of alignment. Could someone help me out with that, too?

The new w3c errors are only these:
    Code:
    Line 37, column 103: there is no attribute "onClick" (explain...). 
      ...><span  class="clsMenuTitle" onClick="dropit(event, 'dropmenu0');event.cancel
                                              ^
    Line 37, column 201: there is no attribute "onClick" (explain...). 
      ...lse"><a href="alternate.htm" onClick="if(ns4) return dropit(event, 'document.
                                              ^
    Can I simply eliminate the onClicks? I haven't tried it, but perhaps I should. Javascript newbie at play here!

Thanks!

Chris
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I don't have time to look at the site, but in xhtml, all element names and attributes must be lower case. Hence, you should have 'onclick', not 'onClick'. Makes no difference to the current generation browsers, but makes a difference if you're trying to adhere to the xhtml standard (since xml, unlike html, is case sensitive).
  7. Big Daddy

As far as the validation goes... That DID IT! Thanks! I'm still trying to figure out the CSS and NN7 problem, so if you or anyone else gets a chance, please let me know about that! Again, thanks!

Chris
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Still a few errors:

Generated by CSE HTML Validator Lite v3.50 (http://www.htmlvalidator.com/)

1. Warning in line 7 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

2. Warning in line 8 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

3. Warning in line 12 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

4. Error in line 24 at character 5: The "width" attribute has an invalid attribute value "103px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

5. Error in line 24 at character 4: The "height" attribute has an invalid attribute value "21px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

6. Warning in line 24 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

7. Error in line 35 at character 4: The "height" attribute has an invalid attribute value "34px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

8. Error in line 35 at character 5: The "width" attribute has an invalid attribute value "235px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

9. Warning in line 35 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

10. Error in line 37 at character 3: The "height" attribute has an invalid attribute value "4px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

11. Error in line 37 at character 3: The "width" attribute has an invalid attribute value "7px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

12. Warning in line 37 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

13. Error in line 41 at character 3: The "height" attribute has an invalid attribute value "4px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

14. Error in line 41 at character 3: The "width" attribute has an invalid attribute value "7px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

15. Warning in line 41 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

16. Error in line 45 at character 3: The "height" attribute has an invalid attribute value "4px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

17. Error in line 45 at character 3: The "width" attribute has an invalid attribute value "7px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

18. Warning in line 45 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

19. Error in line 49 at character 3: The "height" attribute has an invalid attribute value "4px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

20. Error in line 49 at character 3: The "width" attribute has an invalid attribute value "7px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

21. Warning in line 49 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

22. Error in line 62 at character 4: The "height" attribute has an invalid attribute value "55px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

23. Error in line 62 at character 3: The "width" attribute has an invalid attribute value "1px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

24. Warning in line 62 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

25. Error in line 86 at character 4: The "height" attribute has an invalid attribute value "10px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

26. Error in line 86 at character 3: The "width" attribute has an invalid attribute value "1px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

27. Warning in line 86 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

28. Error in line 89 at character 3: The "height" attribute has an invalid attribute value "1px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

29. Error in line 89 at character 5: The "width" attribute has an invalid attribute value "234px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

30. Warning in line 89 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

31. Error in line 93 at character 4: The "height" attribute has an invalid attribute value "20px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

32. Error in line 93 at character 5: The "width" attribute has an invalid attribute value "233px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

33. Warning in line 93 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

34. Error in line 134 at character 5: The "width" attribute has an invalid attribute value "124px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

35. Error in line 134 at character 5: The "height" attribute has an invalid attribute value "120px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

36. Warning in line 134 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

37. Warning in line 136 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

38. Error in line 139 at character 4: The "height" attribute has an invalid attribute value "32px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

39. Error in line 139 at character 5: The "width" attribute has an invalid attribute value "326px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

40. Warning in line 139 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

41. Error in line 145 at character 5: The "height" attribute has an invalid attribute value "290px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

42. Error in line 145 at character 3: The "width" attribute has an invalid attribute value "1px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

43. Warning in line 145 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

44. Warning in line 150 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

45. Warning in line 158 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

46. Warning in line 160 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

47. Warning in line 163 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

48. Warning in line 164 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

49. Warning in line 165 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

50. Warning in line 166 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

and ...
    51. Warning in line 167 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

52. Warning in line 168 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

53. Warning in line 169 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

54. Warning in line 170 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

55. Warning in line 171 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

56. Warning in line 172 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

57. Warning in line 173 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

58. Warning in line 176 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

59. Warning in line 180 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

60. Warning in line 183 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

61. Warning in line 190 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

62. Warning in line 190 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

63. Error in line 191 at character 4: The "width" attribute has an invalid attribute value "18px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

64. Error in line 191 at character 3: The "height" attribute has an invalid attribute value "8px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

65. Warning in line 191 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

66. Error in line 196 at character 3: The "height" attribute has an invalid attribute value "1px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

67. Error in line 196 at character 4: The "width" attribute has an invalid attribute value "15px". Try using one of the following values: a percent, a positive integer, or "0" (zero).

68. Warning in line 196 at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

69. Error in line 209 at character -1: A quoted string cannot be immediately followed by text. It must be followed by a space or the end of the tag.

70. Error in line 214 at character -1: A quoted string cannot be immediately followed by text. It must be followed by a space or the end of the tag.

71. Error in line 219 at character -1: A quoted string cannot be immediately followed by text. It must be followed by a space or the end of the tag.

72. Comment: 33 errors, 38 warnings, 0 messages, 1 comment.
  13. Big Daddy

I have no idea where you got that from, but the html file DOES validate from the w3c.

Chris
    Last edited by cjwsb; November 5th, 2003 at 01:59 PM.
  15. Über nübe

Originally posted by cjwsb
    I have no idea where you got that from, but the html file DOES validate from the w3c.
    Chris
    But this one is easy to fix:

Warning in line --- at character 1: You should add a space character before the '/' character. In HTML type documents, this increases backward compatibility.

Code:
    Instead of <BR/>

write <BR />

just add one space, that's all.
    Hello, old friend...
  17. |<.+#f@#+.&.|
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally posted by khwang
    But this one is easy to fix:

Code:
    Instead of <BR/>

write <BR />

just add one space, that's all.
    except you have to write it in lowercase to make it valid xhtml
  19. Big Daddy

Well, like I said, this file DOES validate with the w3c, but I think I'll download the CSE v3.50 validator anyway. Thanks, all!

Chris
  21. Über nübe

Originally posted by Akh
    except you have to write it in lowercase to make it valid xhtml
    you are absolutely correct. I posted without proofreading. My bad.
    Hello, old friend...
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The image width/height DTD for xhtml says

<!ENTITY % Length "CDATA">
    <!-- nn for pixels or nn% for percentage length -->
    So strictly speaking use height="100" not "100px" or precentage "50%"
    Browsers will accept "100px" "100pt" etc. but should not.
  25. Big Daddy

Yes, I also realized that after I downloaded CSE lite. Thanks a lot, guys. All better now!

Chris

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo