1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

need some advice

I am using Oracle 8 as a database and have it running on an NT box. All the clients run Win98. I would like to convert this database to mySQL and move to a web based solution and eliminate the client server environment. I have remote locations. I have about 120,000 records in the Oracle DB. I do not know if this is a huge task or not. Comments would be appreciated. I am a novice and am just beginning to put my thoughts together as how I will pull this off.
    Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

My main caution here is that you will be astonished at the number of abilities in Oracle that MySQL does not support. Mainly these are things regarding database constraints and relational methods. No views, triggers, stored procedures, CHECK constraints, schema, domain, etc...

Now, if you are not using any of these in your Oracle DB, then it might not be so difficult to move to MySQL. But really, for a database of any complexity at all, these relational methods are lifesavers. If your database of 120,000 records is mission-critical in any way, I would recommend you think about this.

And, I would seriously recommend you consider one of the other open source database systems, which support more of the standard relational methods and constraints. The three I know of are as follows:

PostgreSQL (very mature project, stemming from Berkeley research and Ingres)
    Firebird (open source version of Interbase)
    SAP DB (open source version of SAP/Peoplesoft DB)

From what I have seen so far, PostgreSQL is the system that is most similar to Oracle, even supporting Schema and Domain, as well as most of the ANSI-standard SQL constructs. (MySQL's SQL deviates significantly from the ANSI standard) It will take a little more work to learn, but it really is a nice system.

As for a web-based system, PostgreSQL with PHP/Apache running on a Linux server, is a great combination, although PostgreSQL works well with most programming environments, including Windows-based clients, via ODBC and JDBC. At the moment PostgreSQL mainly requires a Linux/Unix server, but there is a Beta available for running PostgreSQL natively on Windows servers.

To comment any more intelligently, I would need to know some more details about your software, and your server environment.
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

agreed. That seems like a huge step backwards.

Why not keep the DB and just rebuild the front-end to be web-based.
  7. No Profile Picture

I will probably do just that, rebuild the front-end and keep the the Oracle DB. The problems that I am having are not in the DB but in the front end. The original GUI was written in Oracle forms 5.0. Any suggestions on a front-end tool that would be web ready and fairly easy to use? Again, I am thinking outloud and trying explore different avenues. The original front-end was a canned package that is a mess and now its time to come up with some viable solutions.
    Thanks for the comments
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Licensing. An oracle web license is not a trivial cost. The cost may or may not be a factor in your decision but I felt it would be unjust to leave that issue unturned.
    El éxito consiste en una serie de pequeñas victorias día a día

MySQL, MS SQL, MS ACCESS, Oracle Database Manager - http://victorpendleton.net/products/psdviewer.html
  11. No Profile Picture

Victor: I would like to use the backend and convert a client server application into a web based application. I would like to get rid of our T1 lines and utilize the Oracle DB without the present frontend because it is broken and fixing it may not be an option. I appreciate all the input. I may have to start all over but would rather salvage what I have and move to a web based solution for a reasonable price.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What do you numbers look like?
    Projected users?
    Amount of data?
    Manpower?
    Programming background?
    El éxito consiste en una serie de pequeñas victorias día a día

MySQL, MS SQL, MS ACCESS, Oracle Database Manager - http://victorpendleton.net/products/psdviewer.html

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo