1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Can changing capitalization cause a report to not run?

I have a report that runs off a query in Access 2000. It worked perfectly until a secretary entered data all in lower case. The case was corrected directly in the tables. Would this change cause the query to not run properly? I've perused the tables at greater length than I liked and everything appears to be where it should be, yet my report is suddenly not running properly after this change. All information that was inputted properly runs properly in the report, it's just the case changes that won't run. Any ideas on how to fix this?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I suppose you have been hoping for an answer and wondering why no one stepped up to the plate.

Can changing capitalization cause a report to not run?
    Uh... if you mean changing capitalization in entered data, then no, it shouldn't, but then we don't really know how you have set up this report. Nor do we know anything about your database itself.

The case was corrected directly in the tables.
    There is no way for us to know if this affects your reports without an exhaustive review of your Access database. Personally, since I am not very fond of Access anyway, I am not really eager to do this, but maybe someone here would, if you wanted to post your table layout, and list the relationships with other tables.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
    Perhaps you should just delete the data entered by the secretary and enter it again. Honestly, the idea that capitalization should matter at all in a database is a little strange to me, unless you are talking about a foreign key field which relates to another table. AFAIK, all Microsoft products tend to ignore case when it comes to naming, constraints, etc...
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

However for data used in DISTINCT, GROUP BY, ORDER BY, and certainly WHERE clauses case matters.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo