Thread: Database advice

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ocean State
    Database advice

Hey all, new to this forum...

Spent the past year or so developing small web apps for small businesses using ColdFusion and MSAccess. Recently got a contract for a much bigger job, and I'm looking for some friendly advice.

The job is for a website with a reasonable amount of database work, not too many records for Access to handle. My concern is that the number of users is expected to be very high. I haven't had any problems with this with the apps I've developed, however they've been very small, for no more than 10 users at a time.

In developing for this type of site, what method would give me less headaches? I have no experience with MySQL, XML, or much else, but I'm sure as heck willing to learn whatever I need. Is there a language/DB system that's well-suited for this type of work?
  3. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Outside US
    I'd go for Firebird or MySQL as you seem to be working on M$ platform, SAPDB is a bit tough for a beginner (don't get me wrong, what I mean is that Access behaves differently from standard dbs, and if you are used to it only, you would face a steeper learning curve) and PostgreSQL support for Windows is beta quality.
    Notice that MySQL lacks some sql features that Access has (subqueries and views to name a few), this is not the case for Firebird, SAPDB or PostgreSQL.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo