1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

New to databasing... please advise

I am in the process of starting a rental listings, roommate refferals, singles listings website. I have no prior web/database experience. Could anyone please advise me where to start?
    Thank you !!!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

You really sure you want to do this yourself? What you're talking about would require a tremendous commitment of time and effort. It seems strange to me that an individual with no previous web/database experience (or did you mean web-database?) would suddenly want to try to construct a data driven website. I don't know what your background is, but have you considered hiring a qualified developer?
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you for your reply

Thank you JMM for your reply. To answer your questions:

Yes, I'm sure I would like to do this myself, right now I have the time and a strong willingness to develop a new skill. Databasing is very interesting to me.

I'm am in the process of developing a small business on a shoestring buget, so hiring a professional is not an option.

Basically I just need to know where to start (given the type of site I am trying to start)... classes to take, books to read, etc...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

OK. I meant no disrespect, I was just skeptical.

If you can fill us in a little more we can give you some better feedback.

Please summarize your web experience/skills:

Please summarize your database experience/skills:
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi JMM....

No sweat, didn't think you meant any disrespect.

Web experience: Beginner level html.

Database experience: Beginner level access.

Basically I'm starting from scratch, I found some additional information from surfing and basically found out that I should start from square 1, meaning I should know html well before I venture into the realm of mysql, perl, etc.

Thoughts on that?

Thanks again for your help.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

That's what I would recommend. You should be able to design and produce (with HTML) the page that you want to display data from the database on before you even touch the database/scripting.

As an aside, I am a proponent of hand-coding HTML.

In terms of learning about databases, I would start with a good book on database design. It sounds like you have access to Access (no pun intended), so you can use that to create and use databases as you're learning. I would suggest checking out "Database Design for Mere Mortals". It is perhaps a bit overblown, but seems to cover the fundamentals decently.

After learning about database design you would want to start learning some SQL. I've never had a book on SQL, I've just picked it up here and there. W3Schools would be a good place to start learning SQL.

When you do eventually get to the point of selecting a scripting language, I highly recommend PHP, give a huge thumbs-down to ColdFusion, and haven't used ASP much. MySQL is decent, but is not quite the same as using Access.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
  13. No Profile Picture

Done Deal

Thank you for the learning "path" to follow.

I'll get cranking on the html and continue on from there.

Over and out.
    LkeNoOther

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo