1. No Profile Picture
    Apprentice Deity
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Niagara Falls (On the wrong side of the gorge)

Dezign for Databases v3 (beta)

Good news!

DeZign for Databases v3 beta will be released next week and yours truly has been selected as one of 50 beta testers.

I don't know if any of you use DeZign but if anyone is interested to hear reports on and/or my experiences with the Beta version, let me know.

Some of the new features reported:

- Multiple diagrams per project
    - Built in Delphi Web Script to allow changes to the templates which generate the SQL scripts
    - Improved referential integrity support (on delete..., on update...)

and much more.

I'm pretty excited about this as these changes will address ALL the complaints I had about DeZign.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

never heard of it before. but "database", "diagrams", "Delphi" rings bells inside my head

do you have an URL or can i take part in beta-testing? i have to say that i can only test on weekends though and not even all of them as our company requests 150% work from me for the next months

is it a project of your own? or are you just taking part in beta-testing too?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Apprentice Deity
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Niagara Falls (On the wrong side of the gorge)
    You can find out more about DeZign here:

http://www.datanamic.com/dezign/index.html

Unfortunately, you cannot become a beta tester at this point. They had 650 applicants from current users of v2.5 and selected 50 from that group.

However, if you'd like to see what v2.5 looks like, there is a demo version (fully functional, just limits the number of objects (tables, fields) you can create.

Grab that here:

http://www.datanamic.com/download/index.html

I'm not involved with Datanamic in any way, other than as a customer.

I really enjoyed using v2.5 even though it didn't quite fulfill my needs. However, the new features should address that.

I'm also looking at/hoping for the possibility of using the SQL script generator to also generate some PHP classes to work with the generated DB.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

thanks. got the trial version. i´ll have a look tomorrow (it´s about 11pm here...)
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

We currently use for Oracle and MySQL backends. For the price, I feel the product is very useful and reliable. Let me know what you think.
    El éxito consiste en una serie de pequeñas victorias día a día

MySQL, MS SQL, MS ACCESS, Oracle Database Manager - http://victorpendleton.net/products/psdviewer.html
  11. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I started using DeZign a couple of months ago. I use a lot of different databases, and it does a great job of create DDL for different target databases. I used Visio for modeling and dabbled with Erwin. I think DeZign definitely holds its own feature-wise, is reasonably priced, and has a very manageable learning curve.

I really like it. Produces nice text and html documentation, too!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo