1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Where does Facebook store multi millions of Images and Videos

Hi,

I am new to database design. I require some information regarding where does the Facebook which stores millions and millions of pictures and videos. Do they store it in their database and then the images/videos gets retrieved through the query? I have read few times from some people that you should not store the images/videos in the database but they never mentioned where else should you store them if not in the database. Please help me out here. It is a general database question. It'll be highly appreciated.

Regards,
    Shaan
  3. SQL Consultant
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

google it, this question has been asked and answered a bazillion times
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I'm not going to completely dismiss the question for two reasons:
    • The answer depends on what your use case is.
    • The answer depends on what database/data servicing subsystem you're using.
    • The answer (and the nature of the question) has changed a lot from the generally accepted answer that the PHP/MySQL/web crowd grew accustomed to.

With those things in mind go research this a bit. Anyway, you're not building Facebook, and even if you are making a clone you won't be doing it at the scale they do today (at least not any time soon) so what works for them would be incredibly cumbersome for you, and what will work for you would be unservicable for them.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo