1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What do I need to learn to get started?

This is a very basic question that I just cant seem to understand.
    EDIT: Let me rephrase.

Goal: Make a website that can display a random picture (the pictures are stored on a database)

I believe Im going to have to learn PHP and MySQL, the only problem is I dont really know how to start. Does PHP and MySQL have IDEs to make it simpler, I just need to download and set these up and I should be able to learn from there but Im not sure how to set them up.
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

All you need to write PHP is Notepad. Which sucks, but it's the bare minimum. There is no "official" IDE or whatever - try out a few and pick the one you like most.

No offense, but Google it. There's plenty out there to get you started. The rest is up to style and preference. For instance,
    PHP IDEs
    PHP MySQL tutorials
    But stay away from W3Schools.

WAMP (or MAMP) is a quick way to get a simple Apache+MySQL+PHP system up and running.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

You should rather go with PostgreSQL instead.

MySQL has so many quirks, non-standard behaviour and limitations that you'll have a hard time using any other DBMS afterwards.

Besides: in terms of SQL features, PostgreSQL is much more advanced (there are actually only very few areas where MySQL is ahead of PostgreSQL, but they mostly apply for really large database, e.g. partitioning)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo