1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Looking for some helpful advice...

This might be in the wrong forum, but since I haven't picked a program or language yet, I am looking for some advice on where to set my sights. I need a stable database program that allows a table for each client, and tracks admin defined resources for each table. Also, clients need to be able to sign in with mobile devices and change certain aspects of those resources on their table. If possible I am also looking for a low start cost. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for the help.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Your description is really too generalized, I have no idea what you mean by "resource". Maybe you can give a more specific example.

It sounds like you need both a database and some front-end software for managing that database. Your decision will probably be driven a lot more by the front-end software than by the database back-end. Are you going to be running this off a web server? If so, what languages are installed on the server?
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

I have decided to use oracle, and my decision really will be driven by front end software, especially because I am looking for mobile software (IOS and Android) to interface with the database as well.

In terms of resources, the closest example to what I am looking at is an inventory management program. I need to track a list of specific inventory items for multiple clients. Clients need to be able to log in and show their expenditure of the inventory, and I need to be able to replenish them from my end.

Thanks for your response and hopefully this clears up the picture as to what I am looking for.
  7. Humble Learner

Originally Posted by EnderCowboy
    If possible I am also looking for a low start cost.
    Oracle is not recommended for you, better try some of the open source stuff.
  9. No Profile Picture

RE: Looking for some helpful advice...

Hey there @EnderCowboy,

In your initial post you mentioned you are looking for a low starting cost, and as @debasisdas said, Oracle is expensive; if you're still considering other options, I'd recommend looking into MySQL which is open source and relatively easy to use. If you're ready for a small investment there are also self-managed MySQL cloud database options, which are easier to get started with and save you the need to install, configure and scale the database up and down.

Regarding Android connectivity, or front-end management, take a look at this post about Android access to MySQL.

Good luck Ronny
  11. No Profile Picture

Well, Your problem is not that big... You can use a free database software like Mysql. It is a database software that is commonly used for websites and mobile applications. The difference is that in websites, you can access it directly. but for mobiles,you need a certain website that access the database so that the information could be loaded on the mobile device.

For further information with this topic, you can search in google and you will surely find helpful links that will give you a clear insight on the said topic.

Good luck.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by RonnyFink
    Oracle is expensive
    Oracle's Express Edition is free.

I'd recommend looking into MySQL which is open source and relatively easy to use.
    but lacks many modern SQL features.

Especially for a beginner, a more standard's compliant and feature-rich database like PostgreSQL is the better choice.
    I will not read nor answer questions where the SQL code is messy and not formatted properly using [code] tags.
    http://forums.devshed.com/misc.php?do=bbcode#code

Tips on how to ask better questions:
    http://tkyte.blogspot.de/2005/06/how-to-ask-questions.html
    http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions
    http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm not sure what 'modern' features MySQL lacks, but Oracel violates many of the standard rules of relational databases.

Honestly based on the vague description you gave, I'd use filemaker pro. The front end interface is inherent in the program and thus you don't have to build anything on top of it.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

I'm not sure what 'modern' features MySQL lacks, but Oracel violates many of the standard rules of relational databases.
    Here's a short list of modern features that I've found missing in MySQL within the past couple months:
    * materialized views (Postgresql lacks these too, but Oracle supports them)
    * check constraints
    * full outer joins (not sure if Postgresql supports these)
    * geospatial indexing with support for arbitrary polygons (although this is coming in 5.6; I don't think Postgresql supports this without an extension)

However, that said, I still use MySQL almost exclusively because I'm familiar with it, it is supported virtually everywhere, and I rarely need features that it doesn't have.
    Last edited by E-Oreo; October 24th, 2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: s/fuller/full
    PHP FAQ

Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ah - well - see - I've never heard of any of those things (though I'm not sure what a 'full' outer join is - if you mean left and right you can just write a union statement - si there so some of 'new' join that is bigger than a left or right?
  21. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

No, a full outer join is essentially a union of a left and right join (without duplicates) and you can implement it as such. However, a database engine that doesn't support full outer joins obviously can't optimize the union query for them and you end up having to write and maintain essentially two copies of the same query.

However, there are fairly few situations in which you ever need to perform a full outer join.
    PHP FAQ

23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I thought MYSQL did full outer joins and sql server didn't - maybe i got it backwards (unions remove duplicates inherently)
  25. SQL Consultant

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    ... and I rarely need features that it doesn't have.
    this

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    ...there are fairly few situations in which you ever need to perform a full outer join.
    and this

Originally Posted by jemagee
    I thought MYSQL did full outer joins and sql server didn't
    it's the other way around
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo