1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Med student developing new website, need some advice

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie trying to figure out what direction I should take with my web site. I have designed several web sites using HTML, PHP, and CSS but I have very limited experience with databases, and what I need to do, I suspect, will require one.

I am a medical student planning on creating a non-profit health grades style web site. However, it will be very different in two ways 1) it is intended for a specific niche of patients that other sites do not cater to 2) I really just want the database aspect and will not have a scoring or grading system. Basically, Doctors will be able to sign up and make a profile and patients can search for said doctors in a given city for a certain specialty.

How should I go about doing this? What program would allow me to do this the best? I have some money to spend on this venture but would like to keep it to a minimum.

Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

MySQL and Postgresql are the two most popular database backends for PHP; both are free. There are also various forks of MySQL that are backwards compatible.

MySQL is less complicated and easier to use than Postgresql, but Postgresql has more features.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo