1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question multi-user database

This is a newbie question. I'm trying to figure out what to use for a multi-user database (non-web), for about 10-20 users, where I can customize the front end appearance.

I've done database apps with vb and access as backend although i think it may get slow as the user number and data gets larger.

What software(s) is good for this type of apps? is there one software to do it or do i need to use a front end/backend?

I've heard of so many db's like oracle, sybase, etc., and with no experience at them, I dont really know what will work/ or be good for this.

Thanks.
  3. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

5. No Profile Picture

Thanks Pablo.

I'll try it out. Some silly questions however, do I need a front end to go with mysql? and I'll be using windows, so I should be downloading the zip file under windows right?

Lastly, when installing a 'finished app' on another pc, what do i need to install (aside from the app), do i need to put mysql and some other files?

Thanks again.

zoo
  7. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird

You can go with the command line or use a front end tool like those described here.
    For Firebird you can use IbAccess or Marathon (from sourceforge.net) and don't forget to check www.ibphoenix.com.
    For your app, I think you'll need at least a driver (or the client part of the db, if any), for MySQL read this super interesting thread.
    Hope this helps
  9. Second highest poster :p

MySQL is a server based database, it should never be installed on each machine. What i would reccomend is setting up a webserver with MySQL and creating the user interface using PHP or ASP. that way to dont need to install anything on the users machines, they just need their web browser.
    - Andreas Koepke

Koepke Photography

11. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird

13. Contributing User

Arzoo,

Use MySQL as suggested. If you're comfortable using VB, use it. You can connect to MySQL by using ODBC, the same way you did using VB. You'll just have to install MyODBC.

Access is definately not the answer if you're expecting concurrent users. I've been forced to use Access for some applications at work and in my experience it's unpredictable with anything more than 2 users.
    - Walt

Will code for food.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo