Results: Which PHP supported DB is the best? 

Voters
63 You may not vote on this poll

• MySQL
    38  60.32%
  • PostgreSQL
    22  34.92%
  • Other
    4.76%
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally posted by rycamor
    Go ahead and surf http://www.pgsql.com/support for a moment. I was simply quoting the highest-possible 24/7 support price for PostgreSQL. This includes 3 contact people, unlimited events, etc... You can quite easily get by with a much lower support contract, and still have 24/7 support (1/10th the price, even). Also, the support scales to any number of processors on any number of machines.
    Correct, although I was trying to compare apples to apples. Our support does not have a limit on the number of support contacts nor does it have a max number of incidents. Not that we've ever needed 12 in a year but it is nice to have.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

This is the classic thread - many laughs, I like it

Many younger programmers like to put these constraints into the application code, but I believe that is almost always a mistake, because now your database itself will not maintain those constraints if other applications connect to it, not to mention that it is far more risky to depend on application code, rather than internal DB integrity.
    I really have to make a small comment about this quote, because it *soooo* applies to myself. I thought that it would be fun to do everything in PHP, and using mysql was the perfect way to teach me how to. Then I got together with a certain DBA, and suddenly I started getting a hammering about what a real database is Lol

If you want a reallly scalable app, that is secure, move your business logic into the database. It is (1) faster and (2) more secure, and I guarantee that it what your clients want. We're not going to use MySQL again, no disrespect intended, but we need stored procedures, views, integrity constraints to build scalable web services, or so our DBA tells me

Awesome, Z.
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo