1. Web Developer
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Oracle / SQL*Plus question

At our college, we have an Oracle server set up for our Database Processing class. We have to do a project that involves utilizing this database, as well as a front end of some sort.

Well, the problem is that unless I walk over to one of 3 labs with SQL*Plus installed on it, I cannot work on this project. Since I am on the same network as the server (I live on campus) is there a way I can install some Oracle client on my machine to communicate with the server directly?

The DB admin isn't being very helpful in this situation, although he was nice enough to set up a DSN so that we can use our developmental web server to use ASP to access the db server (now if only I can get him to recompile PHP with the oracle functionality so I dont have to resort to using ASP).

Does anyone know any good (preferrably free, but it doesn't have to be) Oracle clients that would work in this situation?

Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Usually as long as you can ping the DB server you can connect to it. You do need to install sql*net (get the cd from the dba). You can then use any front end tool such as sqll+/toad etc.
  5. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo