1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Populate a CSV file

I'm a total noob with this and I hope I'm posting in the right section.
    I need to create a CSV file to import. Lets say I'm doing a review website on Dry Cleaners or laundromats. The site building software has an option to import listings from a CSV file.

How would I go about getting all the businesses into the CSV file by name, address, phone number, etc?

I know it's prefered to use Excel and save as a .csv file, but do I have to look all this information up and enter it manually? Or are there scripts to do so?
  3. SQL Consultant
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by justsuper
    How would I go about getting all the businesses into the CSV file by name, address, phone number, etc?
    depends

where is this data now?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
  5. No Profile Picture

where is this data now?
    I can't think of anywhere you could find a complete or mostly complete listing for the entire United States for say, Dry Cleaners.
    1st thing that comes to mind is someplace like Switchboard dot com and doing searches by city. However that would take forever. Even if I could get the data by searching in that manner I'm still not sure how to get it from switchboard into a CSV file.
  7. SQL Consultant
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

if you don't have this data yet, i don't think you need to worry about csv files

let me guess, you're going to be looking for the email id in amongst the scraped data, right?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
  9. No Profile Picture

Can't think of why I would need the businesses email code. I guess my line of thinking is when someone comes to the site to review the business I thought it would be convenient for them to be able to find the business they are looking to review.

I was looking at using Jreviews for Joomla to build the site and they offer a CSV import which I'm guessing is geared more towards reviewing products rather than services, or maybe both.
    I didn't know if there was a way to get the business name, address, zip and phone # to populate the website so the reviewer can search for the business by city or zip code.

Now that I've looked into it more, I'm not looking for a malicious data scrapper. I just want to populate the website with businesses to review in this niche. If I can keep up with it I'm not even going to allow phony reviews if at all possible.

I'm guessing I'll have to enter each business in this niche manually. Boy that is going to be a huge project if so.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo