1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Large sample database available

Hi,

does anybody know of a non-trivial sample database?

It should have at least 10-15 tables, preferably also with hierarchical (parent/child) and versioned data (e.g. start/end date)

It should also include a substantial amount of data (> 50000 for the core tables). The data itself might well be nonsense.

The target DBMS of the sample does not really matter, because I will convert it for different DMBS anyway.

I'm trying to build some sample queries showing different techniques and how to tune statements. Tuning statements for queries with just a few hundred rows doesn't really make sense, because the execution plans for a small number of rows are different to those for a large number of rows. That's why I'm looking for a large data set.

Currently I'm looking at MySQL's sample database (Sakila) but this is a bit too small - although I always wanted to try out DbMonster to generate test data

I also tried to install Microsofts AdventureWorks DB, but for some reason it failed with my SQL Server installation.

Oracle's HR schema is a bit too simple (and too small)

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance
  3. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You can look at Sakila (as you did) or PostgreSQL version Pagila or Firebird's example.fdb.
    DBMonster works great and can take care of foreign keys, see my blog for an example.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by pabloj
    DBMonster works great and can take care of foreign keys, see my blog for an example.
    Thanks for the link. I will probably use that (combined with Sakila)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo