Thread: Sap Db

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Sap Db

Has anybody heard about SAP DB?

It is the DB of SAP - the administrationsystem powering 400 of the Forbes 500 (AFAIK).
    They made it freeware, because they thought the others were too expensive.

According to themselves it is comparable to Oracle, Informix, DB2 and the other great ones. MySQL is nowhere near SAP DB's performance and security - but noone in the 'internet-dev-society' knows it - or at least noone talks about it.

I'm seriously considering it to become the backbone of my applications.

Any comments?
  3. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It seems a very interesting and robust db, at Oracle level.
    Maybe it isn't widely used because of hardware requirements and a administrative difficulty (like Oracle) greater than MySQL.
    Notice that the administration system that powers those enterprises is SAP R/3 (an ERP) which is database independent and most of the times uses Oracle and not SAPDB, SAPDB is a derivative of ADABAS I think.
    Anyway, it's well worth a try!!
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks Pabloj.

I'm too young (well, in this area at least) to know anything about ADABAS.

The real thing is, that it puzzled me quite a bit, that SAP says it's a lot better, stable (and a lot of other things) than MySQL - and everybody's using MySQL...!?

SAP is doing quite an effort to make it very easy to install and use (I did it in 1 hour), and their goal is to make it maintenance-free.

They offer a mail-list-support where engineers from SAP-labs, Berlin answer all questions asked.
    (And of course they use it to catch bugs in their commercial versions of the DB as well)

Anyway... -I'll continue with SAP.
    Thanks again.

B.
  7. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I think that SAP is right in the sense that is more feature rich, probably more stable and robust also, than MySQL.
    Everybody is using MySQL because it's a great mix of speed, robustness, ease of use and it also has a relatively small footprint. Use of SAPB for a website guestbook would be overkill IMHO ...
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally posted by pabloj
    It seems a very interesting and robust db, at Oracle level.
    Maybe it isn't widely used because of hardware requirements and a administrative difficulty (like Oracle) greater than MySQL.
    Notice that the administration system that powers those enterprises is SAP R/3 (an ERP) which is database independent and most of the times uses Oracle and not SAPDB, SAPDB is a derivative of ADABAS I think.
    Anyway, it's well worth a try!!
    I'd have to agree with pablo, most instances of SAP I have heard of are using Oracle.

I think SAPDB might go the way of AOLServer, a solid system but not widely implemented.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I had a look at their website and it was very impressive.

Has built in replication which is always a HUGE plus.

http://www.sapdb.org/

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo