1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

simple database question

i want deveelop an easy program where say at work i have 10 computer sharing one drive..i would like to develop an html style program where i can input customer details and save it onto that drive..but also say if i were to search for a customer..i can do so as well using html style..so each one of these computer can do so..since they to seach the name through the same drive...no servers involved..im just wondering if it would be feasible..also what would be the easiest solution

terry
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

what the f#$&

can anyone answer what i thought would be a simple answer..but i guess everyone here is as computer illiterat as me.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Sigh... no...

It's just that from the question you ask it's obvious that it would take a lot of work to explain all the basics to you. If you just want an "easy" solution to what you propose, you will be disappointed. ("No servers involved...") Why not just use Microsoft Access and forget about HTML-style forms?

Otherwise, you are going to have to spend some time reading about web application scripting, such as PHP, ASP, and how to build a database-backed website, etc... etc... You will have to do your homework just like the rest of us.
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  7. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

As a computer illiterate, take a first lesson, read this:
    New users - HOW TO POST A QUESTION - READ THIS FIRST
    expecially:
    Don't use stupid topic names
    Post a descriptive topic name! Give a short summary of your problem IN THE SUBJECT. Don't use attention getting subjects. They don't get attention. They repel attention and annoy people.
    and
    Remember when people help you, they are doing YOU a favor

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo