1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Arrow Best Way To Store Audio Files?

Hi. this is a really simple question: what is the best way to store (large) audio? I have done some reading about SQL BLOBs and, it looks like there is a way to do it in MS SQL but, i am wondering if just creating a folder on my hard drive and accessing the files there would be better? Has anybody done this and could you give me an idea of what is the most cost-effective way to move forward? Thanks!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

From a database viewpoint, I would just store the path and filenames in the database.

The tricky part would be the placement of such files. If you plan to have thousands of files, you don't want to place them all in one directory and you'll need to be concerned with existing files with the same name. You'll also want to make sure the paths are not too long either if you plan to backup files to standard ISO CDs or DVDs.

Based on the solutions other people have implemented with similar problems, they have all used multiple directories such as the following:

\2005\05\31\12\59\*
    \2005\05\31\13\00\*
    \2005\05\31\13\01\*

Lon
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I use BLOB before too, is just too much trouble. After awhile I just design it to store the directory path of those audio, video file and give up on BLOB.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I've stored images and mp3 files as BLOBs in DB2 UDB with no problem. We had a knowledgable UDB DBA at the time who set up the bufferpool and tablespace(s) correctly for storing this kind of thing. One classic ASP file to serve up the BLOB as any kind of content type. Worked really well and eliminated the headache of filepaths and storing on on a NAS so that two servers (one primary and one failover) could serve it up.

fv
    ...because that is the way we have always done it. We've been doing it like that for 80 Years! (How do we change that mindset?)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo