1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

VB3 and relational databases

For a variety of _very_ odd reasons, I'm forced to build a fairly large relational database in Visual Basic 3.

Anybody know how to set up a relational database in VB3?
    Anybody know where I can find any info?
  3. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I'm hoping it'll be the former but expect I'll have to do the latter (and then the former)
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I'll assume here that you are actually building an access DB to be used from VB3 and not building your own DB (yuck).

VB3 comes with a tool called visdata, usually you get the source code and all, compile it and then you can use it to create an access DB and maintain tables etc.

Do not use data-bound controls. Access the DB using regular SQL using the recordset object. I have never had a good experience with data-bound controls.

If you are indeed building your own DB then good luck and may the force be with you.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Let's be clear about our language here:

DBMS = database management system = a generic engine with which one can manage many different collections of data for different purposes (each of those being called a database).

DB = database = a specific instance of a collection of data for a specific purpose, using a DBMS.

So, which of these are you building? If you want to build a truly relational database management system, my hat is off to you. I think, however, that you will find this is a large job that cannot be accomplished by any one person in a reasonable time. In fact, none of the larger SQL DBMS vendors has truly accomplished this task. Oracle, the largest of these, manages only about 60% compliance with the logical features of a true relational DBMS, according to Codd & Date. (We have had a few discussions about this in the past).

I would also suggest that VB is not the tool to use for this. However, if you simply mean you want to develop a VB application that manages a few flat lists of items, you could perhaps accomplish this by using CSV files (the "flat file" database approach). Don't expect this to remotely resemble a true relational DBMS, though.
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo