1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Putting a database under version control

Anyone heard of a good solution in having a database under version control or similar? I use version control in web development, and it would be of great ease to be able to "check-out" a database patch-file that would update my local database with the repository's database.

Any help appreciated!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

With this silence, I concluded there was need of information about the subject and wrote a blog-entry about it: Version Control of Database Data
  5. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Originally Posted by motin
    Anyone heard of a good solution in having a database under version control or similar? I use version control in web development, and it would be of great ease to be able to "check-out" a database patch-file that would update my local database with the repository's database.

Any help appreciated!
    SourceAnywhere Standalone can be integrated with SQL Server. You can upload your database to the source control, so after you edit your local database, the modification will be updated to your repository's database.

Catherine Sea
    http://www.scmsoftwareconfigurationmanagement.com/
  7. No Profile Picture

You might find neXtep designer interesting : First it is free and GPL. It allows you to put the whole structure of any database under version control and provides a full-featured database development environment on top of it.

You develop your changes in a version control repository workspace (the equivalent of a snapshot of your database model in a given version). All your developments are stored using version revisions. At any time, you can synchronize the workspace with a development database to publish your updates to other development teams. When you need to deliver, you can generate "deliveries" built from the comparison between any 2 versions of your database.

All the SQL scripts are automatically generated for you, allowing you to reduce the time of delivering / generating your database.

The environment is a standalone product built on the Eclipse platform and provides SQL clients, stored procedure / SQL editors (auto-completion, error decoration, hyperlinks, documentation hovers), dependency management, instant graphical data model diagrams...

It runs on Windows, Linux and Mac and currently supports Oracle, MySql and PostgreSql databases. You can learn more on the product and download it from "nextep softwares" website (the forum restricts URL links, so do a google search for it).

You will also find more documentation on the wiki.

Kind regards,
    Christophe
  9. No Profile Picture

Use Lure to get your database code under version control

Originally Posted by motin

Any help appreciated!
    If you are using Oracle then the tool Lure from Earthly Software Ltd can extract your database code to source files and also deploy the extracted source files to a target database. The extracted source files are ideal for import into file based version control tools like Subversion.

Check out the demos on the product website to see how powerful Lure is and how simple it is to use.

(Unfortunately I am not able to add the URL in this post but just search for "lure earthly software")
  11. No Profile Picture

dbMaestro TeamWork - The leading Database Version Control

Hi,

May I recommend you to review the dbMaestro TeamWork.

disclosure - I'm involved in development of this product

dbMaestro’s TeamWork brings Database Version Control solution to the database world:

• Collaboration Enablement – TeamWork enables development collaboration by enforcing sequential access to database artifacts, eliminating out-of-process updates to database structure, code or content and associating technical changes with business activities

• Reduced Operational Risk – TeamWork’s deployment engine, helping IT staff promote managed database changes from development environment through to production while enabling version control and rollback, as well as the ability for rapid error recovery, helps manage and reduce the operational risk

• Enhance security at early ALM stages – Improved control over roles and responsibilities – who is allowed to change database objects, alert and block unauthorized changes

• Compliance Enablement – TeamWork acts as a central repository for all database changes, making sure you always know who did what when and why to your databases and enabling reliable auditing and reports to comply with SOX, CMMI, PCI etc.
      Please review the leading

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo