1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

putting a dummied Access db search engine online

I'm in the process of building a restricted-access community site for someone, comprised of members, and paying professionals and retailers who are going to populate an intrinsic, site-specific search engine. I'm in the midst of creating the search engine records with some of the tables, and am mocking up others so he can show a dummy version to clients to generate sales.

I need to be able to have the following setup turned into a webpage, so that he can show his potential clients the idea before we get so far as to put things up on a server etc.:

SEARCH: (the dropdown list of buildings in the community)
    FOR: (the dropdown list of professions and retail industries)
    WITH KEYWORDS: (from the list I'll mock up)

...and on hitting a submit button, it has to generate a list of potential individuals/firms which meet the criteria indicated.

I can create the tables for these (already half-done that), but how do I get a dummy version working such that once a dropdown choice for the first two, and a keyword HE will enter (knowing it's in the database) will actually give me results? And how do I put this onto the web as a static page (I've no back-end server capabilities yet)?

My current ISP will not allow any type of active server pages at all, only .html and other static content.

Even getting me going in the right direction would be greatly appreciated...

I can do the html part, but I don't know how to link to an Access database.

Shawn
  3. No Profile Picture
    Moderator =(8^(|)
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Well, I'd say fake it. Have the first html page with the forms and the second html page with the data. If you really can't get a database running, that's probably your best bet. The options all involve getting a database with some sort of server-side scripting language running and accessible from wherever you're going to be demoing this thing.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Will the presentation be done by you? If so you could have a server running on your laptop and then present the webpage like that.

If it has to be on the net, look in webhosting on this forum or do a Google search and sign up for a cheap host that gives you mySQL and php.
    Transfer the db to mySQL, that will make everything easier.

Mantas
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

OK This is what I've got so far, I've just been re-entering dummy information in GoLive (wysiwyg is just faster, then I go behind the scenes and clean it all up).

I have no idea how to populate a keyword list from Access...I THINK I can get some help and just use javascripting 'if' statements for this, and not use the database at all until I have to worry about going online.

I have so much to learn it's not funny. Probably going to have to hire someone for the backend work, because I can only learn so much so fast

Here's where the search engine is, and I want it to reload the page on submitting the dummy info, with the difference being the results are displayed in the centre table cell:

http://members.rogers.com/rchorney/search.html

Shawn
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Using an 'if' loop will require alot of typing on your part, unless you decide on a handful of possible entries.
    To my knowledge FrontPage lets you easily connect to a Access db, I don't use FrontPage so I've never tried it.

Mantas
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wow you seem right! Excellent, thanks very much!!! The wizard in Frontpage for database connection is going to teach me a heck of a lot!

Shawn

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo