1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Access front end - changing sql reference

Hi,
    I dont kn0ow virtually anyhting about sql so please treat me like a 4 year old.

My client has an SQL database which is accessed by multiple pcs using an Access front end.
    We are setting up a backup which is:
    Export the db from sql, import it onto a spare laptop, get one user to use the db locally from that laptop.

My problem is:
    I have changed the user setup and permissions to allow it to connect the the db locally. I simply let the connection that exists, timeout (as it cannot see the orig db on the server) and then I replace the sql location to localhost.
    But... it begins to auth and then comes back with anotehr error and the server address is in the error. So somewhere in the Access file it has more references to the server.

How would I change this?
    How do I edit the Access file?
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If they are linked tables then select the tables, right click and select Linked Table Manager, and select the checkbox to prompt for a new location. Do this with all the appropriate tables. This should work whether you're linked to a text file or linked to an Oracle (or other such) Database. If you have more need beyond this please describe your scenario in detail.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

right click and select Linked Table Manager
    4Where would I do this.
    Thanks for the reply
  7. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It depends on the version of access but you should find the table list readily, in 2007 it's on what they call the "shutter bar" for reasons unknown:

Alternatively you can get to it (in 2007) from the Database Tools menu > Linked Table Manager

Then select the tables and check the box to prompt for new location:

Then you should get your list of ODBC data sources for ODBC linked tables, or a prompt to a file location if it's a mapped file.
    Attached Images
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo