1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

simple message/email/inbox system?

I am struggling to come up with a schema for message system (simplified) so user 1 sends message to user 2, user 2 replies back.

Here is what I have come up with so far
    Code:
    +--------------+---------------------+------+-----+---------------------+----------------+
    | Field        | Type                | Null | Key | Default             | Extra          |
    +--------------+---------------------+------+-----+---------------------+----------------+
    | id           | bigint(20) unsigned | NO   | PRI | NULL                | auto_increment |
    | user_id      | bigint(20) unsigned | NO   | MUL | NULL                |                |
    | recepient_id | bigint(20) unsigned | NO   | MUL | NULL                |                |
    | subject      | varchar(30)         | NO   |     | NULL                |                |
    | message      | text                | NO   |     | NULL                |                |
    | is_read      | tinyint(1)          | NO   |     | 0                   |                |
    | parent_id    | bigint(20) unsigned | NO   |     | 0                   |                |
    | created_at   | timestamp           | NO   |     | 0000-00-00 00:00:00 |                |
    | updated_at   | timestamp           | NO   |     | 0000-00-00 00:00:00 |                |
    and some sample data:
    Code:
    +----+---------+--------------+---------+-----------+
    | id | user_id | recepient_id | is_read | parent_id |
    |  1 |      19 |           61 |       1 |         0 |
    |  2 |      61 |           19 |       1 |         1 |
    |  3 |      19 |           61 |       1 |         1 |
    |  4 |      61 |           19 |       1 |         1 |
    |  5 |      19 |           61 |       0 |         1 |
    |  6 |       9 |           61 |       1 |         0 |
    |  7 |      61 |            9 |       0 |         6 |
    |  8 |      61 |            1 |       1 |         0 |
    |  9 |       1 |           61 |       0 |         8 |
    The problem I am having is how do I list all messages in user_id 61's inbox.. and highlight some messages if they have not been read

An example would show:

Messages with ID 1, 6, 8

Message with ID 1 & 8 - highlighted because messages with id 5 & 9 are unread.

Not sure if i should rethink the schema
  3. Lazy Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The schema seems fine with me, but... 1, 6, and 8? If you're talking about the inbox then shouldn't you be looking at the rows with recipient_id (you misspelled that) = 61? That's 1, 3, 5, 6, and 9, with only 9 being unread.

Personally, I would name user_id as sender_id (that way you have "sender" and "recipient" in the table), then parent_id more like conversation_starter_id or something like that so it's obvious that the column indicates the first message in the "conversation", where parent sounds more like a previous message (like the message being replied to).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

thanks for the reply You are right but with that sample data i was showing that messages
    1. with id of 2-5 are sub-child of id =1 so on inbox page they wouldnt show up but rather id=1 would show up but be highlighted because sub-child id=5 is unread
    2. with id of 6-7 are related but will not show up as highlighted because in id=7 I sent the message to user=9 so for them it would be highlighted

Ok this also leads me with TWO choices of showing the inbox?
    1. either show the original message highlighted if there is a reply - I have managed to do this now..
    2. or show the latest message...

which would be more acceptable or User Friendly?

Also one more question about deletion? how do i add that in? if i was to delete the parent (not actually delete but mark it as adelete in db)
    I was thinking to have two more columns sender_deleted and recepient_deleted? and check those if yes dont show?

but say I can i either delete the whole conversation like the parent_element or individual messages.. again which one is more UI/UX ?

& thanks for the rename suggestions.. make sense..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo