1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Alt Keys / Hotkeys

Hi,

normal buttons don't seem to have an AutoHotKey option in Delphi 7. So I have a custom form class which would be able to adjust the captions of the buttons by inserting the & at the appropriate place (hence auto generating my own hotkeys based on available letters on the form).

My Question: Any suggestions for a efficient algorithm?

My initials thoughts:
    1. Start with shortest captions and insert & starting with first available letters. (ie. Button1 and Button2 becomes &Button1 and B&utton2

2. Then, after running through all buttons, we will possibly have some that havent been assigned any & due to none-available letters. Suggest I then run through already assigned captions (starting with longest words) and see if I can find appropriate letter for usage within these already assigned words and (as a result) amend both to find a letter for my current button.

Perhaps this is a subclass of a familiar problem that I dont seem to figure :-)
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Very interesting. IMHO I don't think automatic hotkey generation is good for user interface consistency. Because there is a chance hotkey difference between builds (of the same major/minor version). But I can see that this a time saving.

In order to minimize the possibility of unnecessary hotkey generation and assignment, we have add step 0. In step 0 we list all the buttons, and using this list we should not change buttons that already have hotkeys.

What do you think?

IMN logo majestic logo spyfu logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo