1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

ClientDataSet, NexusDB etc. - Which single user database?

I'd appreciate it if anyone had any ideas on which solution they'd use for creating a single user, local data, application.
    I've looked at NexusDB, EasyTable and a few others. Then there is using ClientDataSets or even just bog standard typed files of records.
    I've got no one to talk to
    So if anyone has used any of these approaches and has any advice or preferences, then please let me know.
    It is an application which will be sold for use by small to medium businesses.
    I just don't want to have to install anything other than my app. on customer PCs. Which is why I'm after a nice neat solution which will compile right into my software.
    There are many out there which can be had for very reasonable prices, including the source if necessary. I'd just like to hear of any experiences others have had in going down this route and with which databases.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ClientDataSet, NexusDB etc. - Which single user database?

I use Advantage Database. They have delphi componants to replace and enhace TTable and TQuery so you codeing stye need not alter. there is a database management tool Arc23.exe. And if in the future you need it to scale to client server no code changes are needed. The cost of the server for client sever 5 user if verey resonable compared to other similar products. And the SQL is very fast.

Bob Pointon
  5. No Profile Picture

Bob,

How does Advantage work then? Is it a case of including some DLLs or can it be compiled into my application like some of the others?

Bronsi
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

With the paiad for version both methods are avilable, but I am not sure if it works with the free version. The free version is called Local server.
    http://www.sybase.com/products/databasemanagement/advantagedatabaseserver

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo