1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

CLX Package/Component installation without .bpl files - how to do?

One of our previous programmers set up a project including some of the CLX components associated with the DevExpress ExpressGrid product. I have been attempting to figure out how to install these components on both a Windows XP machine, and a Win7 machine, without much current success. DevExpress no longer supports this product, and the only instructions I have been able to find online read as follow:

Code:
    1. Unpack the corresponding SFX archive (for example, Grid4KSrc.sfx for the ExpressQuantumGrid) to the necessary folder.
    2. Add the path to the ExpressQuantumGrid libraries in the Kylix IDE.
    3. Install the ExpressQuantumGrid libraries (add them to the list of installed packages in Kylix IDE).
    4. Add the following lines to the startdelphi (for Delphi IDE) or startbcb (for BCB IDE) file (it is located in the /kylix3/bin folder):
    Steps one and two I can do and have done, but I'm having trouble with Step 3. In the past, I've only installed a few component packages, which had associated .bpl files. In this case, the contents of the compressed sfx archive did not include any .bpl files that I can find, although it did include several .dpk files, which I believe have something to do with component installation.

I'm at a loss as to what I need to do from here to get the components installed. Would someone please be kind enough to offer me advice as to where I should start looking next?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Kylix is a long defunct Delphi compiler for LINUX last released around Delphi 7 timeframe. You are stating you are attempting to install it in Windows XP and Win7. If in fact you are working with Kylix, then it needs to be installed in linux, or maybe what you are trying to do is install an older version of Delphi for Windows, at which point, you are following the wrong (Linux) instructions by trying to install ExpressGrid in Kylix rather than Delphi.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I apologize if I have not made myself clear.

I am trying to install third party components designed for the Delphi 7 CLX environment (as opposed to the VCL default environment) in a pair of copies of Delphi7; one copy in each of the previously-named Windows variants. I know this is doable, because I have seen the laptop used to originally create the program I need these for and the components in question were installed in Delphi7, CLX environment, on it. I simply do not know how to install them (again, I have no .bpl files and no clue how to properly use the .dpk files) on the systems I am now trying to work with. It is the latter that I am seeking assistance/advice on.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by EnderX
    Delphi 7 CLX environment (as opposed to the VCL default environment) in a pair of copies of Delphi7; one copy in each of the previously-named Windows variants
    Sorry, but my understanding is that CLX components that load into Kylix, need to be on a Linux OS, not a Windows variant.

I don't doubt that you saw a working Delphi environment, but I'm sure that you either saw Kylix on a Linux OS, or Delphi 7 for Win32 on a Windows OS. Delphi 7 (Win32) cannot be loaded onto Linux, nor can Kylix by loaded onto Windows.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Again, I apologize if I'm not being clear enough.

What I saw, and what I am trying to install to, is Delphi 7 on a windows machine. However, it is Delphi 7 in the CLX environment, rather than the VCL environment. There is an option on Delphi7 to make applications as CLX applications, intended so that the Windows development environment could be used to create cross-platform programs. I am trying to install components which I believe (possibly mistakenly) were meant for this specific situation - Delphi7(Win) development of a CLX(cross-platform) application. The components I need to install specifically have the Q prefix (QcxCurrencyEdit, QcxEditMask) which tells me that I need the CLX variants - the VCL version of these components does not have that prefix.

Again, all I am trying to figure out is how to properly install these - I suspect that the .dpk packages I have are the key to doing so, but I do not know this for certain. As noted above, I could be mistaken in what I believe these components were intended for.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo