1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Delphi professional and MS Access

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Delphi, I've used the standard version but am thinking of upgrading to the professional.

My question is when you develop a database application in professional and you use an MS Access database to hold your tables, does the computer you deploy the application to require MS Access to be installed?

Any info would be appreciated.
    :-)
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    You don't need the entire Access package to be installed, but just the MS Access drivers to connect to an access database. Have no fear though, Delphi professional comes with Installshield IIRC, which allows you to package your executable and drivers in one package, so you can deploy the whole thing in one bundle.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. No Profile Picture

If you use KADao, a free MS Access DAO tool [search it in google and it's the top link] you can create your database as you would normally and publish your program with just the .exe and the .mdb! Simple. No more "required files".
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, I've only now seen them as for some reason the email address I used for the account wasn't receiving notifications from this forum, or anywhere else come to that!

I've now got Delphi Professional and have sorted out the Access programing. For windows you just need to set the drivers in the ADO components, when the program is compiled it will run on its own (just copy the program along with the .mdb data file to the computer you want to use it on).

I found a great tutorial at
    http://delphi.about.com/od/database/a/databasecourse.htm
    which gives all the basic knowledge you need to write front ends for Access databases.

Thunderbolt1003, I'll look at the KADao tool to see if I can use it, thanks for the tip.

Bye
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by derrickatdev
    Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, I've only now seen them as for some reason the email address I used for the account wasn't receiving notifications from this forum, or anywhere else come to that!

I've now got Delphi Professional and have sorted out the Access programing. For windows you just need to set the drivers in the ADO components, when the program is compiled it will run on its own (just copy the program along with the .mdb data file to the computer you want to use it on).
    This works because the vast majority of computers have the MS JET database library installed by default. JET is the actual database that is used by Access. Access can actually be thought of as having two parts: (1) the Access application that is actually a front end and a development environment for databases that use the JET database engine, and (2) the JET database engine itself. JET is installed by default in most Windows installations, even if you don't have MS Access.

There's lots of information on this on MS website, e.g.: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303528

Not sure what version of ADO the Borland ADO drivers use, but it's possible that you may run across incompatibilities in machines that have different versions of the ADO driver installed. Also, I'm not sure whether it is still the case that JET is part of default install of Windows, and I don't think it was part of default install before around 1999 or 2000. It can always be installed separately by downloading from microsoft.com.

Just keep in mind that if you do experience incompatibilities on any machines, you may need to check and/or update the ADO library version on the machine, or check to make sure that JET is actually installed. Your program should run on vast majority of machines without problem. But if you have problem, those are things to check.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo