1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Suggestions for centralising data storage?

I write PC based applications that use a single database accessed from many locations within a LAN.

However my current application requires users in their homes ie not on a LAN, to be able to access a single database. I have thought about using the mySQL database that is available on my linux web domain but don't know if I have permissionto connect to that from outside - or how to do so even if I have.

Anyone got any suggestions (and coding solutions!) that would solve the problem of a web based central store of data - preferably in a sql database - accessed from executables on several people's PCs.

(The data volume is not huge and simultaneous access would probable be limited to two or three at at time)
  3. Contributing User

if I have permissionto connect to that from outside - or how to do so even if I have.
    with paid hostings you usually have an option to enable outside connect.

about "how to do" - just the same way as you do for local mysql database - specify url, port, base name, user and password when connecting.
    CodeAbbey - programming problems for novice coders
  5. No Profile Picture

Suggestions for centralising data storage?

Originally Posted by rodiongork
    with paid hostings you usually have an option to enable outside connect.

about "how to do" - just the same way as you do for local mysql database - specify url, port, base name, user and password when connecting.
    Thank you but as I said, I don't think my isp allows external access to mysql. There is no remote access link in cpanel. But I was really looking for some 'outside the box' thoughts that are alternatives to using my ISP. The applications will not be for me so I'd rather not involve my own web site and cannot guarantee the users will have a web site, have a database on it or have any clue how to access it if they did!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

From what I understand,

you don't have a webserver at a hosting company and don't want to host a webserver yourself. For centralized storage you will have to have some computer (server) hosting the data though. Assuming this is at one of you customers head office, you could consider writing a Socket Server listening at head office and synchronize the data at set intervals from each of you clients. Just a thought. Risk is that you have to ensure the synchronization of data (ie. up and download the data when and where necessary). It also requires a format of data to be defined (perhaps via XML / serialization). Thios involves writing code for each client AND for the socket server (ie. what it should do with the data received).

Other than that, host a Webserver on this server at the headoffice and use MYSQL -> running either as per solution stated by rodiongork above or via webservices (but then you need to write the php for server side as well).

Regards

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo