1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Filtering Firebird

I'm migrating from Paradox to Firebird and I'm in the process of changing my application. Problem I have is filtering in uppercase in firebird. I also use a DBGrid for displaying a table. What was nice with the previous BDE was, that I could do realtime filtering by using an editbox and as the person type I can just change the .Filter property. As I understand it your IBDataset does not support CaseSensitive of any of the "FilterOptions" properties as did you TTable component. I've tried to look at OnRecordFilter Event, but when using this, the DBGrid doesn't update and I need to do a open and close everytime the filterdetails change, needless to say, this is extremely slow. Can someone help me with small little APP to do this. I've also tried to SelectSQL property, but also have the same problems. Please help
  3. No Profile Picture

Hi
    Originally Posted by ccvdw8422
    I'm migrating from Paradox to Firebird and I'm in the process of changing my application. Problem I have is filtering in uppercase in firebird. I also use a DBGrid for displaying a table. What was nice with the previous BDE was, that I could do realtime filtering by using an editbox and as the person type I can just change the .Filter property.
    See my reply (to your question) in the Firebird forum. The ONLY reason you can do this search with the BDE is because ALL of the grid data is ON YOUR PC. That is ALL of the data is or has been transfered from the server. So ALL of the data is ALREADY in memory or on YOUR pc's disk.

This is ok for small amounts of data, and if you are only using small tables (~1000 rows IMHO) you COULD still do the same thing by transferring ALL the records of your FB table on to your pc. This would emulate the BDE and also EMULATE the speed ie it would SLOW DOWN the whole database and limit the multiuser capabilities dramatically! (due to table/record locking - although maybe this is not so much of a problem with FB).

Change your code and your DB speed will improve immensely over the BDE!

Kind regards

Peter
  5. Contributing User

Lightbulb

I'm using IBObjects by Jason Wharton ... http://www.ibobjects.com.
    You should really try those components !
    Delphi+IBObjects+Firebird and all your problems are over (well mine are)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo