1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Editing DNS info?

Hello everyone, I was wondering if it would be possible to edit the DNS info in windows. I looked in the registry and I'm pretty sure it's not in there, but it's gotta be stored somewhere right? I'd like to make something that can automate the process of viewing OpenNIC domains. The manual process is located here: http://www.opennic.unrated.net/personal.html.
    Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Most likely it is stored somewhere in the registry. You could try setting the IP address via the control panel, as detailed in the link above, and then bring up regedit.exe and search for that IP address in all the keyvalues.

I've actually used this technique to find out where NT stores its IP address config -- I needed to add a bunch of IP addresses quickly to a server and wrote an app to do this .
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ok, I've found it at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{C89AA3F7-BB9D-45B4-B750-1E597B1FF523}\NameServer
    and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{C89AA3F7-BB9D-45B4-B750-1E597B1FF523}\NameServer
    but I'm pretty sure that code like thing is unique to each PC. Anyone know about that? And, if it is, is their anyway I could get that code from the computer the program is running on so I can update the reg setting or is all of this impossible?
  7. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Yeah, the part that is likely different is the {C89AA3F7-BB9D-45B4-B750-1E597B1FF523} part. However, you can still work around this.

METHOD 1
    -----------
    Enumerate all subkeys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\ and check all of them for a Nameserver sub-subkey within each subkey.

METHOD 2
    ----------
    Look under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Adapters\ and get that GUID value. Use this value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\ and look at the nameserver sub-subkey under that subkey.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo