1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Program running in startup of computer

Hi,

I had a programmer develop an application that runs in the background, but it even runs in the background when user restarts computer. I would like to revert this action so if they restart computer the program will not run in the background anymore. Could anyone help me on MSN or Skype? I'd be willing to pay for help from there to there.

Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by TRectangle
    Hi,

I had a programmer develop an application that runs in the background, but it even runs in the background when user restarts computer. I would like to revert this action so if they restart computer the program will not run in the background anymore. Could anyone help me on MSN or Skype? I'd be willing to pay for help from there to there.

Thanks!
    Is the application a Windows Service Application that is set up to automatically start, or is it a Windows program that is started during the boot up process?

If it's the first, then you should be able to right click on Computer Icon on your desktop and select Manage. Computer Management Application will come up. Click on Services and Applications on the left pane. Then select Services (double click) in the right pane. Find your service application in the list and right click on it and select properties.

Change the Startup Type to Manual. Now the user will have to start it manually every time they want the service to run.

If its a regular program, they you have to determine how it's being started, it could be as simple as being placed in the Startup folder, and removing it from there.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by majlumbo
    Is the application a Windows Service Application that is set up to automatically start, or is it a Windows program that is started during the boot up process?

If it's the first, then you should be able to right click on Computer Icon on your desktop and select Manage. Computer Management Application will come up. Click on Services and Applications on the left pane. Then select Services (double click) in the right pane. Find your service application in the list and right click on it and select properties.

Change the Startup Type to Manual. Now the user will have to start it manually every time they want the service to run.

If its a regular program, they you have to determine how it's being started, it could be as simple as being placed in the Startup folder, and removing it from there.
    Hi,

When the user first runs the program it gets created and run from directory C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Roaming

There is a config ini in there along with the application. It has option 1 in config to allow it to run in startup and if I change it to 0 it wont run in startup. The problem is changing the code in source so when program starts up it changes line to 0 so next time they restart the program wont run in background anymore.

Could you help with me this if you got msn of skype please?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sorry, I know I'm still in the stone ages, but I don't have skype or msn.

From your explanation, my understanding is that an application is set up to automatically execute on startup. Depending on the value set within an associated INI file, it either continues to run, or terminates.

You want the user to be able to manipulated the setting within the INI file through some interface within the application itself (i.e. flip the value from 1 to 0 or from 0 to 1).

Also, which version of Delphi is the original application written in? Are there any 3rd party components that the application uses.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Seems like all you need is to know how to work with INI files. I wrote an article about this. Check it out here: Working with INI Files in Delphi.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo