1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Implicit sql POST command

I'm using Delphi XE version 15.0.3890.34076.

I'm testing a legacy application that hits an INSERT sql command in a TADOQuery and lately after some processing it will hit a POST sql command. The method BeforePost is been fired before the POST command been executed.

How can I discover which is the cause? Or... Someone here knows a list of command sequences that can force a implicit POST command? Or..

Greetings from São Paulo - Brazil

Ricardo
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by nightrider43
    I'm using Delphi XE version 15.0.3890.34076.

I'm testing a legacy application that hits an INSERT sql command in a TADOQuery and lately after some processing it will hit a POST sql command. The method BeforePost is been fired before the POST command been executed.

How can I discover which is the cause? Or... Someone here knows a list of command sequences that can force a implicit POST command? Or..

Greetings from São Paulo - Brazil

Ricardo
    You can take advantage of the beforepost method yourself to notify you of when a POST is about to happen. Just put as the first line a showmessage('posting'); Of course that isn't production code, but could be useful in testing.

As to what can cause an implicit post. Simply moving to a new record if the current record is being edited (table.state = dsedit) will cause Delphi to post the current values to the record. That is one of the main reasons my db applications either work on 1 record at a time (can't move between records when the data set consists of one record), or the dataset is readonly.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I was detecting the implicit post rightly with a break point in the beforepost method.

It seems that it was a kind of corruption in deplhi's generated code. After close and open Delphi XE IDE the trouble no longer occurs.

Thank you very much for your explanation. I learn much about implicit post causes.

Cheers

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo