1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Using HELP in Delphi.

I don't know why. But ever since I upgraded to Windows 7, I've been unable to use Help in my Delphi compiler.

Not only that, but I have created some of my own .HLP files and I have been unable to use them either. I get a message that looks something like this:
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Why can't I get Help from this program?

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows. However, you can download a program that will allow you to view Help created in the Windows Help format.

For more information, go to the Microsoft Help and Support website.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    I did go to the Microsoft web site and I downloaded and ran the app from that site which was supposed to ensure that my copy of Windows was legitimate, which it is.

Nonetheless, no matter how many times I've tried, I've been unable to get any Help to work.

Can anyone give me some advice as to how to go about getting Delphi v7.2 to recognize my Help files and to work when I select "Help" from the main Delphi v7.2 window?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

did you download the application and install it as administrator?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by clivew
    did you download the application and install it as administrator?
    Yes. I did.

AAMOF. I had two older versions of Delphi (4.0 and 5.0) and after changing from Windows XP to Windows 7, I never touched either one of them. But the Help facilities both stopped working.

And I wrote my own ".HLP" file using the Delphi Help Compiler to create the ".HLP" files. But they stopped working too.

I think the problem has to do with Windows 7.0 and nothing to do with Delphi. I'm just asking for help here because I figure many other people should have experienced the same thing when they upgraded from XP to 7.0.

Did you experience the same problem?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This link should help explain why your help file no longer works. It is a Windows Vista + issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by majlumbo
    This link should help explain why your help file no longer works. It is a Windows Vista + issue.
    Yes. I've tried that. But it tells me that update is not applicable to my PC.

Have you tried this yourself?

If not, I'd really appreciate hearing from someone who has downloaded the correct fix and installed it successfully.

Anybody here done that?

Thanks
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

WinHlp32.exe that comes in Vista or 7 default installation were just a dummy. Their only function is to raise that error. Nothing else. The solution is to use valid WinHlp32.exe. Either by download from the official microsoft site, or copy from older Windows.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Luthfi
    WinHlp32.exe that comes in Vista or 7 default installation were just a dummy. Their only function is to raise that error. Nothing else. The solution is to use valid WinHlp32.exe. Either by download from the official microsoft site, or copy from older Windows.
    Thank you.

I have gotten it all working now and must apologize because I did not update this thread.

I am still having a big problem because for some reason my directory "C:\program files (x86)" has become "read only" and I have tried to remove that attribute every way I could find but have been unable to do that.

But I will mark this thread solved now and thank you very much for helping me.

SOLVED.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo