1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

FTP - Best Practice Question

I need to download a bunch of pics off of an FTP site.

I wanted to know what is the best AND more reliable way of download these files.

Should I
    1) CONNECT
    2) Download all the pics
    3) Quit

OR

Should I
    1) Connect | Download pic | Quit
    2) Start over until all pics are downloaded

I think the first option seems more logical but what if one of my download fails during #2. I also don't know if it's best to leave the FTP session open during those times this increasing my exposure of having to be online and all it's inconsistencies.

At least with the second option it's a quick snatch and grab method that minimizes my issues of being online.

Anyways any help is appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture

40 views...no reply?

Anyone please?
  5. No Profile Picture

No suggestions?

Does anyone know of a forum that does have more interaction?
  7. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

How much data (number of pics and total size) do you need to download?

As you are asking in this forum, does this mean you are trying to create your own FTP client to download the client?

Does the FTP server support the REST command?
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by MrFujin
    How much data (number of pics and total size) do you need to download?

As you are asking in this forum, does this mean you are trying to create your own FTP client to download the client?

Does the FTP server support the REST command?
    MrFujin,

Let me first start by saying thank you for the reply. I really do appreciate it.

The number of pics can range from 50 to 100 pics. Each pic is around 300k in size. Not very large. Overall downloads range from 10M-20MB

I'm not trying to create my own FTP client. I am currently using OverbyteICS FTP Client.

I don't really know if hostgator (who the hosting server is with) supports REST.
  11. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

What kind of connection/speed do you have since you are worry about downloading 20MB?
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by MrFujin
    What kind of connection/speed do you have since you are worry about downloading 20MB?

I'm not really worried about connection speed as most locations have cable internet.

The reason why I'm asking is more for proper programming. You see I'm a long time programmer hobbiest that started out as a kid programming basic on a commodore pet. I went into IT and have always kept programming as a hobby. I just want to know what would is considered proper programming edict when it comes to communicating over the internet.

The first method leaves the connection open and downloads everything hoping that the connection won't disconnect, while the second method constantly opens and closes the connection leaving little exposure for connection issues (or so I think).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo