1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is Delphi going to be outdated?

Before I start I want to mention that I have never used Delphi before. I am currently working as a .NET programmer and I am looking for some information on Delphi.

To begin with, the company I work with uses a software that is entire written in Delphi. The issue is, the software company has shutdown and we do not have any support for the software issues anymore.

Now, my company is looking for an answer as to whether it is a good option to re-write the entire software or should we just keep making changes to the software using Delphi (The software company, before shutting down, provided all the licensees with the source code and all the rights)

What I am looking for is pro's of using Delphi for long run (3-5 years from now)

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance
  3. No Profile Picture

I dunno but I will be using it for a long long time yet. It's far superior in terms of syntax and ease of use to that bloated mess C and other languages. It does what I need it to do with the minimal of fuss, and I can create some nice 2D games in it using Asphyre engine.

Delphi should be good for a while yet.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think Delphi will be around for quite a while still. Been using delphi for more than 10 years and have been able to achieve all our goals thus far. Older delphi's dont have 64bit compilation support, but thats in the newer versions now. Full object orientated programming, easy to write services and the footprint of your application is small (very small).

Your future on the project would be determined by your goals with it - if you just plan to maintain it then (i think) delphi would remain a good choice (vs the cost of rewriting it). Especially if you already have the licenses.

And then on the plus side Embarcadero have taken over the development and marketing of the Delphi (and related) products and have really made an effort the last few years with regards to pushing it into the market again. A pretty big commitment from their side.

Also they have added loads of features (brought it up to speed with regards to Mobile Development, RAD Tools, Environment features (code folding, operator overloading etc). They've got a one source -> multiple platforms solution.

just some of my thoughts
  7. No Profile Picture

Thank you for replying.
    It is basically a calibration software. The main reason the company wants to re-write is because they are worried after 2-3 years the electrical devices(currently used) would not be connected using Serial ports or GPIB etc but instead would want to connect via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.
    Does Delphi support that? Can we have the software add feature so it could look for bluetooth devices or maybe create an app version of the software so we can have it on the phones as well?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The main reason the company wants to re-write is because they are worried after 2-3 years the electrical devices(currently used) would not be connected using Serial ports or GPIB etc but instead would want to connect via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.
    Agreed, serial is phasing out. I have found some resources via google indicating that bluetooth is possible via delphi (some components are available for purchase (http://www.torry.net/pages.php?id=630) OR you could use Indy component set and do some extra coding yourself)(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa362928%28v=vs.85%29.aspx). For the latest delphi version there may already be new solutions (not sure though - check with Embarcadero).

All the above would depend on which version of Delphi you are running. The older it is, the more work on your side I would think.

or maybe create an app version of the software so we can have it on the phones as well?
    Mobile app development has only recently been made available in the new Delphi versions. Running on older versions you may have trouble doing this via the delphi language itself. Then I would suggest going for a completely different approach:

a) if you dont want to rewrite the logic in a different platform (ie. Java & Eclipse for android Or ObjectiveC for iOS) then perhaps generate an HTML front end that makes a live request from your application via socket server / webservice interface. OR even HTML5 with local storage and periodic synchronization (depends on the purpose of the app I suppose)

b) perhaps consider the new delphi for mobile. Keep in mind that you may need some code conversion if you are currently running on a very old delphi version (think is was pre 2009) with regards to Unicode stuff for strings.

c) if not the above, then mobile dev would have to be on a different platform - requiring you to do re-coding of the logic required. But yes, one would want to avoid this (having same logic in different projects) - unless you rewite it all (as you mentioned).

my opinions ;-)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo