1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

1Z0-053 preparation

I am preparing for Oracle 1Z0-053 certification test,any good suggestions about study materials online?I need your help.Thanks.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ok first off I have been a Oracle DBA now for 18+ yrs and I have never needed or bothered with taking any of the Oracle License exams. Reason being I have worked for 3 different Beta Test shop for Oracle and been involved on the Bleeding Cutting edge with Oracle that total time. I am a Senior/Lead/ DBA manager and I have taught many Oracle DBAs over the years. I have interviewed so many Oracle DBAs with these degress and although it looks nice on the resume one needs to have the real knowledge to back it up.

So many times applicants have these certificats, but when I ask a question like given a specific Error ##### in given spec system, what caused it and what would you do to resolve it. Also I always state you have NO access to the internet either....what do you do? The error is always based off a topic/element that they have on their resume. If they did the job and worked in it, they should have seen it and at least have some idea on it.

That being said I would advise still pursue the certifications anyway but really read into the detials and learn. The job of a DBA is to always keep learning and growing. I would dig into the Oracle stack and buy some Oracle Press books like:

- Oracle Database 11g - Oracle Real Application Cluster Handbook
    - Oracle Database 11g - Release 2 High Availability
    - Oracle Database 11g - Release 2 Performance Tuning Tips & Techniques
    - Oracle RMAN 11g Backup and Recovery
    - Oracle Automatic Storage Management
    - Oracle Data Guard 11g Handbook
    - Oracle Database 11g DBA handbook]
    - Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Grid Control Handbook
    - Oracle Database 11g & MySQL 5.6 Developer Handbook

Now any good DBA should have these above books in their Library already, but some other books to also have might be too:

- Oracle Core Essentials Internals for DBAs and Developers
    - Expert Indexing in Oracle Database 11g: Maximum Performance for you database

There are a bunch of others you could also obtain as well too. Now for me my current company uses 11.2.0.3 Oracle databases, as well as now MySql 5.0.51a (soon to be 5.6.9 MySQL) and PostgreSQL 9.2....I even have knowledge on SQL Server 2005. You need to determin what your direction is going to be in. For me I am a Systems Architect, Database Administrator, Project Manager with a Director title, but also I am 48 and been in IT now for over 22 yrs.

So the best advise is learn as much as you can and try to learn indepth knowledge not just the buzz words to past a test. That kind of DBA gets crushed in a interview process.

Good luck!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo