1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Lightbulb Achieving order in concept to final product

Hi,

I am in a slight rutt at the moment and would like some advice.

The company I work for is a publishing company that has expanded into the web.
    I have worked on web sites for about a year and a half now (at my current job for 3 months). I have learnt ASP, JSP and WebDNA.

I have found that there is no real flow or proceedures being followed in the way they are being developed.

From what I can see the sales team dreams up these ideas and then goes and markets them to clients.
    Next the already sold concept is then presented to the coders and designers and we are asked if it can be done.

I wish to fix the way things are done.
    What I need is help on laying out the framework of how the development process should work. Can you make any suggestions or know of any resources avaliable.

As you can see I am a coder at heart and I am in need of guidance on project management.

Thanks HEAPS!
    James McIntosh
    james@mcintoshracing.com
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

There are many solutions, but only two that works.

1. Kick out the sales personel. Hire people who knows about both the developing process = they could write the code if they had to, but prefer sale.

2. At every meeting with potential sale there should be a coder present. When it comes to solutions sales personel are not to speak.

There is one last option.

1. Sales guy handles first contact and first sale together with a coder. Second contact is handle by a pro = A guy who can sell AND code.

People with no background in IT (coding) are just bad karma. If your company wants a perfessional edge it is crucial that they keep there mouth shut.

Hard words.. But I have learned the hard way.
    \Oliver

For those about to php - we salute you!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo