1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Advertising revenue

Hi all.

I was hoping that someone could tell me how much money i could expect to make from putting banner adverts onto a website. I would also like to know if advertising is usually based on per click through payment or just simple for hosting the ad.

I would also like to know if anyone could tell me how to go about getting advertises(do i approach individual companies or is it done a different way to this) or if anyone could point me towards some usefull resourses where i can find out more.

Thanks very much.
    Ben.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

There's probably a ton of articles out there on the web about this. Try http://www.netmag.co.uk/wb_details.a...25886&ch=WB001 for starters.

Most will tell you that the likely revenue from banner advertising is very very small. It seems that even newby web users have simply learned to subconsciously filter out those little animated boxes we know as banner ads. People just completely ignore them. Even Yahoo! has been having trouble making any decent cash recently. But it may just be a phase and new ways will be devised for sticking ads in our faces, and making us click through to the goodies.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Shrill Digital God

The only way you can increase clickthroughs on banners is to (1) make graphics that look like form elements and put them in the banners so people will click on them, and (2) make banners pop up in their own little windows.

Both techniques are despicable.
    I'm not impatient, I just have a low tolerance for boredom.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo